Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can't use A & D drives

On both my CD Rom and Floppy drives I get the message 'Please insert a disk into the drive', when there already IS a valid disk in there. I'm guessing it has to do with: a) the registry, b)using msconfig to make an entry somewhere.

If you can help, please be specific in your instructions.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't use A & D drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't use A & D drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: can't use A & D drives

If you think it's the registry, why not boot into MS-DOS and do scanreg /restore to a few days ago?
If you think you made some erroneous entry with msconfig somewhere (where?) undo it.

But I suspect it's a hardware problem.

Let's start with the diskette. Boot into MS-DOS, put a diskette in with some files in it, and try some commands, like dir a:, xcopy a: c:\windows\temp. The error message might be informative.

Then reboot and go into the BIOS. Check what it says on diskette drives and all IDE devices.

Post again with your experiences. And please include the contents of autoexec.bat and config.sys to see if they reference a CD-driver.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: Re:can't use A & D drives

How do you boot into MS-DOS? BTW, it's running WME and is a Gateway circa 2001, and is my Aunt's.

I don't think the scanreg /restore would be a good idea - I just got rid of a slew of viruses and spyware.
Which may have led to deleting something in error.

If it's a hardware problem, why would both drives be affected at the same time?

Collapse -
Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: Re:can't use A & D drives

Forgot to say that I can't get into the BIOS - the Gateway logo comes up and I can't seem to get by it to access the BIOS. Tried 'delete' 'F1', 'F2' and none work.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

To boot into MS-DOS: Start>Shutdown and check "reboot into MS-DOS". You've seen it a 1000 times already, I assume. Never read it? Or doesn't it exist anymore in Windows ME? Than choose it from the boot menu you get when you keep ctrl-key pressed while Windows loads.

The ways of accessing the BIOS vary considerably. See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm for instance. The documentation that came with the computer should tell (but doesn't always do); then contact Gateway custumer support.

Diskette and CD indeed use different slots on the motherboard, which makes a hardware error unlikely. But they use different software also.

Did you check Device Manager for these devices already? If MS-DOS and BIOS show no irregularities, Device Manager is the place to be for device problems.

And, of course, you didn't tell the relevant history of your removing a lot of software. That might make a difference indeed. It's quite possible (although not necessarily the cause of the problems) this somehow made such a mess of it, that you have to start all over (format and reinstall, hope your aunt has a backup of all her personal files).
Better install free AVG after the reinstall and visit your aunt regularly to run Adaware and Spybot.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

You're right about seeing a k times! Just never paid attention to it or used it! Thanks for the web page - veyr nice to have for future reference.
Device manager is fine and the icons appear as usual on the desktop. What would I look for in autoexec.bat? Would system.ini or any other file be involved?

What is AVG? Spybot and Adaware are installed. Plan on doing NIS when the CD is back up and running.

She has a restore disk - can I go over the top or does it require a reformat? Thanks for everything so far.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

You've got into DOS, nice. And what were the messages when you did a dir a:, copied from/to a: and did a chkdsk a:? That's the diskette part.

Testing the CD from DOS is a little bit more difficult, because this needs CD-drivers in autoexec.bat and config.sys. Once you've a: working (if it doesn't work from DOS, it's broken) and can come into the BIOS, you can boot from a Windows 98 boot diskette, choose CD-ROM-support and use dir and copy for the CD-drive.
Which answers your question on config.sys and autoexec.bat. For Windows 98/ME, there is no need using DOS-drivers.

AVG is a free antivirus program: http://www.grisoft.com

Restore disk: depends on the disk. Most do a reformat. Some have other options. See documentation that came with the computer. However: using the restore disk requires a working CD-drive!

And I still don't believe in any software or settings error. Unless you've proven it already by getting these devices working from MS-DOS, of course. But until you tell so: not my bet.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:can't use A & D drives

What does this mean? "use dir and copy for the CD-drive." PLEASE, be specific in your directions. When you suggest to do something, explain HOW to do it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.