General discussion

Can't uninstall photo pos pro!

I have an ancient Win Me, PIII 1GHz machine. However, photo pos pro is supposed to be compatible!

The installation apparently went fine. But the program wouldn't launch!

So I wanted to uninstall it, and possibly reinstall. But it can't be uninstalled by any means!

I needed help, and signed up in the photo pos pro forum. I was supposed to get an email and required to activate the account from that.

I did not receive any email! My address was given correctly. There is an option on the forum site to ask for another email so I can activate my acount. I did so. Still no email! The site said:

"If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator."

But there is no obvious way to contact a board administrator!

So I emailed to support@photopos.com and also to photopos@freesoftware.co.il, as suggested on the photo pos pro "contact us" page. No response in 10 days! There is a disclaimer on their site indicating that the email might have gone to their spam folder (their response couldn't have gone to mine, -- I checked)! How helpful!

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm stuck with a malware that I can't remove! Please help me removing this. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't uninstall photo pos pro!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't uninstall photo pos pro!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have You Tried This?
- Collapse -
Re:

Thanks, Grif.

Are you sure Revo Uninstaller is compatible with Windows Me? Because it is not running on my machine!

I've already tried Add/Remove Programs, Glary uninstaller and WinUtilities. All try to uninstall using photo pos pro uninstaller, and all fail.

I've downloaded Brute Force Uninstaller (BFU), but haven't a clue how to write a script for it to do the job! Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

- Collapse -
No, it won't work in Windows ME

Revo is for Windows 7, Vista and XP.

You should try Absolute Uninstaller from Glary Soft that runs in Windows ME and newer systems.
Note: If the setup file offers add-on (toolbar or other software), uncheck the box. You don't need those third-party software to use Absolute Uninstaller.

- Collapse -
Re: No, it won't work in Windows ME

Thanks Donna, for your help.

On your suggestion I downloaded the Absolute Uninstaller. The Glarysoft download page for ausetup.exe 2.8.0.636 says:

"Operating System: Designed for Windows 7, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista."

However, when I tried to install it on my Windows Me machine, I got the following error message:

"The ausetup.exe file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version." !!!

On contacting Glarysoft they confirmed that it is not compatible with Windows Me! And they couldn't point me to an earlier version that is either. So I'm back to square one!

- Collapse -
How about this method...?

Sorry to hear that it does not support Windows ME anymore.

How about trying to execute the installer of Photo Pos Pro that might give you an option to "re-install,repair or remove" from computer. Some setup file of program have that options and if it have, choose "remove".

Another method to try using an old version of CCleaner program.
You can download it from:
http://www.oldversion.com/CCleaner.html
Scroll down the page and then download CCleaner 1.16.082 (0.4 MB) which should work in Windows ME because it's an old version.
Install it, then click run the program. Click Tools to open the Uninstaller feature. Locate Photo Pos Pro and remove it using CCleaner.
Note only that you should use this method at your own risk because it's unsupported version since it's old. And then remove CCleaner when it finished or succeed or failed to remove Photo Pos Pro.

- Collapse -
Success, at last!

I tried to execute the installer of Photo Pos Pro again, to see what it does this time. It didn't even recognize that the program was already installed in my machine! It went on installing it again from scratch, and failed after 99% completion, getting stuck with a message that it was waiting for something else to complete (I got this message the first time also, but only momentarily, -- apparently the installation did complete that time, although the program or the uninstaller never ran)! Nothing else (no antivirus or firewall) was running to my knowledge (except things that must run)!

So I had no option but to kill the installation at this stage. The Photo Pos Pro icon was there on my desktop. I tried to run it. There was a difference from the original installation this time. It actually tried to run! But it gave the following errors:

Automation error , and

PosXpStyleFrame Ctl : Run-time error "0" (several times).

On hitting "ok" to close the error windows the program quit running.

Now I tried to uninstall it again with CCleaner v2.36.1233. Again I got the above two errors. But after I hit "ok" to get rid of the error windows, the Photo Pos Pro website opened in IE, saying "we're sorry to see you go" and asked for my feedback (which it failed to register)!

I killed this IE window, and to my surprise saw the Photo Pos Pro Uninstaller launch for the very first time ever! I let it run through, and it actually uninstalled to finish (except for a few files and dirs it couldn't remove, which I removed manually)! So, success at last, quite unexpectedly. Yay!

After this awful experience I'll never use any other software from "The Power Of Software company" ever again.

Thank you very much for all your help. Cheers.

- Collapse -
Good work, lakupisi!

Glad you sorted this out! Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info