HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can't uninstall NAV2001- a file is missing; please advise

by Eandka / July 22, 2004 2:40 PM PDT

Am missing file NAV95.isu so 2001 will not uninstall. Symantec's website advice is to reinstall 2001 from the CD. Presumably this means I have to stick in the CD from Dell with NAV on it, (holding down "shift" while I'm doing this I've read, so the CD will not autorun as it includes other things installed by Dell). I'm supposed to look for a folder that says\NAV9xme and double click it to begin installation. (If this set up program does not appear, I'm supposed to go to Windows Explorer and find it there. Believe it or not, I have never used Explorer either.) Will all this work with an OEM copy?

There's one other option I have not tried and that is to use Rnav2003.exe removal utility (for 2001). (A Manual uninstall fooling around with the registy is NOT ON.)

What should I do-try to reinstall 2001 using Dell's CD or use the removal utility, not knowing if that will work either without the missing file?

I have no idea what to expect if I insert Dell's CD either,never having done that before. Are these CDs easy to navigate? What about all the updates and virus defs-will reinstalling the Dell version wipe all of them out so I don't have to worry about them? Symantec didn't say anything about that.

I am beginning to detest NAV. Eandka

PS NAV 2004 will not install over 2001. Sigh.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't uninstall NAV2001- a file is missing; please advise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't uninstall NAV2001- a file is missing; please advise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't uninstall NAV2001- a file is missing; please advis
Collapse -
by Eandka / July 24, 2004 8:59 AM PDT

Marianna and Donna: 2001 uninstalled with Rnav.exe. NAV 2004 installed perfectly until the second last registration screen when the computer hung and wouldn't go to the Finish screen. Updates stalled at 20%. E-mail blocked. Word acting up. After about ten more crashes and shutdowns, including 5 illegal ones, plus an auto reboot into Safe Mode, I uninstalled NAV 2004 (at least that went perfectly). Phoned the store this morning and will get a full refund tomorrow. Downloaded AVG (free). Only problem was an initial BSOD, three more hangs, and another illegal shutdown, after I typed in my password. Of course, I haven't attempted another restart yet..... Eandka

Collapse -

oh, oh..... you are SURE all the Norton stuff is from your computer?? Did you try a registry cleaner?

Then browse to the C:\documents and settings\\User Name (repeat for all users)\local settings\temp folder and delete all files and folders in it.
Then browse to the C:\Windows\Temp folder and delete all files in it.
Then in internet explorer click tools>internet Options>General. Click on Delete Files make sure you get all offline content as well.

Reboot

still problems?

Collapse -

Hi Eandka,

If you can't remove NAV in Add/Remove programs, you should use now the rnav2003 utility. Follow the steps in their site - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=&docid=2003062408451306&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

NAV 2004 should be offering you to the option if you want to uninstall old NAV. That's what I saw here last time. Could be OS specific or your program uninstaller is corrupted.

Just follow carefully the steps in the above link to remove 2001 before installing newer version or other AV of your choice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.