Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't type in system password

I have a Dell Opiplex GX240, 256MB ram, 1.7Ghz, running Win98SE. I decided to set up a system password to keep it being used when I was away. In Setup, under Security, I unlocked Password Status and entered and confirmed my password. On rebooting, it asked for my password with a blinking cursor to type it in - BUT no matter what keys I hit, no letters appear on the screen; it's impossible to type in anything. After 8 or 9 reboots, I gave up. Can anyone tell me why the keyboard let me type in the setup, but won't let me type to enter it. (Probly have to reset the jumper.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't type in system password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't type in system password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tap Escape to get in then...

In reply to: Can't type in system password

Go find the .PWL files in C:\Windows, delete them to allow it to accept a new password the next time.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't type in system password

Bob, thanks for your reply. It's not really a Windows password - it was set up in the CMOS settings. Nothing I hit on my keyboard enters anything on my screen, except ENTER, then it tells me Wrong Password.

Collapse -
Maybe

but only maybe...

You need to take out the CMOS battery on the motherboard, wait a few minutes and replace it.

Also check the motherboard instructions book on how to reset CMOS.

Zee

Collapse -
Sorry, I thought that was Windows.

The forum topic is Windows, so I'll think with that hat on.

The method to clear a CMOS password varies with the machine. Some have a PASSWORD clear jumper, others a CMOS clear and others have other methods.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe ...

the BIOS is smart enough not to SHOW the password you type in on the screen, but still accept it. What would you expect: the full password shown, stars, dots, spaces, nothing (like apparently here)? The full password would be the most unsafe method between this five.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Maybe...

In reply to: Maybe ...

Kees, right, nothing goes in - I guess I'd expect stars, rather than the actual password. When I type, nothing changes; the cursor just blinks (or winks?) at me. I can type in the password and hit ENTER, and get WRONG PASSWORD. It's like my keyboard isn't loaded, which I guess it isn't. I can clear the password by the board jumpers, but this password idea would keep everyone out of my PC - and it really works!! It won't even let ME in. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for your input, guys.

Collapse -
Embarassed to admit...

In reply to: Re: Maybe...

I almost was too embarassed to post this, but I owe it to you guys who responded.
Kees was right, the password was going in but didn't show anything - when I hit ENTER it worked. One thing I must remember with passwords is REMEMBER THE PASSWORD! I should tell you my wife wrote it down wrong, but it was my stupidity!
Thanks to all you guys!!

Collapse -
Tssk...tssk....

In reply to: Embarassed to admit...

Wink

That was nice, believe me.

I'm sure everybody will be happy with the good news.

And, of course, thanks for posting back.

Zee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.