General discussion

Can't turn on Windows Security Center

Seems, I have a nice little malware problem.
1) ActiveX wasn't working properly
2) Windows Security Center got deactivated automatically
3) MSE was blocked.
4) No mini apps display on the desctop
I did the whole procedure:
RKILL
MalwareBytes,
SuperAntispyware
and finally Hitman Pro

I also got rid of MSE and installed AVAST for virus protection.

Result:
1) Anti virus protection is up running
2) ActiveX runs fine
3) Mini apps are OK
But still no active Security Center.

Does anybody have another idea?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can't turn on Windows Security Center
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't turn on Windows Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My Windows 7 Pro Only Has An Action Center

Where are you attempting to access the "Security Center"? If I open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Action Center" icon, I see a "Security" tab which opens the basic security settings but I see no "Security Center" icon as was in Windows XP.

On the other hand, there is a "Security Center" service which needs to be started in the "Services" panel for such Security items to show up. You can check to make sure it's started by click on Start, then type "services.msc" in the search window, then press the "Enter" key.. Once the 'Services" dialogue box opens, scroll to the "Security Center" listing, double click on it and make sure its set to "Automatic9delayed start)" and "Started".

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Talking about the security service

Sorry Grif, I am working with a German version of Win7. It is a bit difficult to translate all Win7 terms in a right way.
I mean the security service (WSCSVC.DLL) that can't be started. I get this information as a warning in the task bar (guess it's the action center...). The service is deactivated and it is not possible to start it for longer than a second or so. Based on the other threads (same problem) it is because of malware in the system.

- Collapse -
Then Try Running These Tools Like This

If you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get them to work, then fine, but frequently the problem malware prevents the programs from running correctly. If that's the case, then download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

First, after transferring it to the problem machine, run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
There are 3 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all the background programs.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet, then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.......

Grif

- Collapse -
Already did that...

... also used Hitman Pro (was posted in an older discussion regarding the same problem)
Found a number of possible malware. After running the tools, at least ActiveX was working in a proper way again. And all the mini apps on the desctop. But still the security service is deactivated Sad

Ulf

- Collapse -
Oooops...

... I haven't used the manual updater. Just the automatic update after installation. Does it make a difference? If so, I would have to re-run that stuff.

Ulf

- Collapse -
If You Can Update From The Internet, That's Fine..

The internet update from within the program's interface will be the best..

It would have been nice if you had linked to, or stuck with your "older discussion" as there's no way to know what you have, or haven't done to fix the issue without going back and forth. Most importantly, although you said you had run the tool previously, have you continued to run scans and do they come up negative now?

So, have you tried starting the security service (WSCSVC.DLL) from the "Services" dialogue window? If not, what errors do you receive when attempting it? Are you attempting to start it from an admin account? Have you tried starting it from a different admin account?

Have you tried resolving the issue using the link below? If not, please do.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
sorry...

... but I've already posted my activities in my first thread. That's why no link to one of the older discussions.
I did run all scans yesterday. Today the PC was occupied by my wife. No chance... Will do it tomorrow again.
After that I have tried to start the service manually from the Services window as well as from the task manager. In both cases a manual start was possible, but after a second or so it was disabled again. Same thing, if I did it directly in the registry. My account is an admin account. And Inhave tried it as well from another admin account. Same thing.

Gonna try the Microsoft solution first thing tomorrow.

Thx for your help!
Good night

Ulf

- Collapse -
Finally got it up running...

Hi Grif, I did a complete scan again today, which told me that my system is clean. Still no started Security Center?

To be honest I was scared to do the correction as described in your Microsoft link because it is for Vista. That's why I did some more investigation and finally found a thread in a Microsoft forum, telling me like:
"... run Services.msc... chose SecurityCenter... click on LogOn tab... delete password... click on Apply... change start mode to "Automatic"... click on Start"
It works! Security Center gets not deactivated anymore. I know, it's more a kind of a "trial and error" procedure but the result is everything that counts? Wink
Thanks for your help again and a Happy New Year
Ulf

- Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
- Collapse -
where

can you post the link on Microsoft where it said how to fix it. because i am having the same problem

thank you

- Collapse -
Sorry...

but I don't have the link anymore. But it says the same thing as I have posted above. So if you have done all the necessary cleaning try get it restarted.
Good luck
Ulf

- Collapse -
ANOTHER "Windows Security Center service can't be started"

I read the entire thread but nothing helped - cannot start the service. Feel I am infected since Outlook is crashing, system is slow and fan is running all the time at full speed.

To summarize Services.msc>Run as administrator>Start up type - Automatic does not keep the service on.

As recommended by Grif:
1-I downloaded Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware on another computer, renamed Malwarebytes and brought over to infected computer
2-Before copying over - ran rkill
3-Ran both with full scans after updating virus definition files. SuperAntispware found some stuff but problem not resolved
4-Ran Hitman Pro - nothing found
5-ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware again today. SuperAntispyware found some tracking cookies.
6-Uninstalled AVG Free edition as recommended on Microsoft Social answers forum (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/9b8b5ca6-0fbb-4f44-a9b7-db77cc8515b2). Used the AVG uninstall program and rebooted to remove all traces

Still/always "Windows security Center service can't be started"

Not sure if I am exposed with out AVG installed. (I am behind a router's primitive firewall).

I have a HP G60 445 DX running Win 7.

Help is appreciated - I do not know what to do next!

Pam

- Collapse -
RESOLVED!

Felt exposed with no Anti virus software so called up Microsoft. They did not ask about warranty because the matter dealt with security. Rajah went in with Process Explorer and found a trojan (that House Call and all the others listed in my previous post could not find but that I suspected was there). Suggested I get the free Microsoft Essentials - seems reasonable if they are going to support the product as well. They have an online scanner as well.

No more notications from the Action Center. It also feels good to get a snappier computer with the unpredictable redirection to aggregation websites when in Firefox.

- Collapse -
Which Trojan Was Found.. The Name Would Be Helpful

Techs frequently say they found a trojan that nothing else could find but it would sure be nice to know the trojan's name and exactly what file was detected as being such.

Just curious.

Grif

- Collapse -
HijackThis

If you are still having problems, might I suggest running HijackThis? This program lets you see if anything has been changed to your computer.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

I would run this and do a scan and save a log file. Then past the log file here and we can take a look at it.

-Dustin

CNET Forums