General discussion

Can't turn off XP SP2 firewall

I can't turn off the windows firewall, the turn on & turn off radio buttons are grayed out, but I can edit exceptions & check/uncheck the allow exceptions box. How do you nuke the firewall?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't turn off XP SP2 firewall
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't turn off XP SP2 firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Make sure you are logged on as....

an administrator or a user with those privleges.

- Collapse -
Group policy

The window says "for your security some settings are controlled by group policy" trouble is I have XP home & therefore i don't have a group policy editor so how the !@#$#%***%^!!!! do I change the setting.
This happned after I put on SP2 - I can't believe MS can be so stupid!

- Collapse -
Cure for xp home group policy / firewall problem

I figured it out, for anyone else who has this problem open regedit (start>run> regedit) then open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Policies>Microsoft>WindowsFirewall>DomainProfile
right click on the enable firewall entry in the right hand window, then click on modify in the pop-up menu, in the dialog box change the value data number from 1 to 0.
Do the same for the StandardProfile entry just below DomainProfile
This sets the firewall enable to off

- Collapse -
Can't turn off XP SP2 firewall

last post was correct, BUT , when you have this problem it means something went wrong with the sp2 install ( perhaps a bad packet in the download). I had this problem 3 times. Redo all.

CNET Forums

Forum Info