Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't turn off System Restore in XP

by goldfoot / November 7, 2004 8:19 PM PST

Ever since I installed SP2 I am not able to turn off System Restore - i.e. the option to change the settings is there but when clicked nothing happens.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't turn off System Restore in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't turn off System Restore in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't turn off System Restore in XP
by Cetin Denislam / November 7, 2004 8:47 PM PST

Boot in Safe Mode and try it there. Additionally, read More than 'u ever want to know message. You'll find inside some places to kick it. Do you think that's all ? Nah, there are additional articles / procedures.

>>Anyone else had the same problem?<<

Probable over the small planet could be rare cases with the same symptom. However, less probable that those read your message or are able providing a cure.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by mrtazmania2 / November 18, 2004 10:16 PM PST

I had the same issue with system restore. As far as I'm concerned system restore is useless anyways, but what worked for me was to go into the services (start-programs-accesories-system tools-administrative tools....Services. Scroll down to find the system restore service and select to stop it, then change the properties to manual. Reboot then try to tuen the system restore back on the easy way by right clicking on my computer, select properties and then go to the system restore tab and turn it back on. This process causes you to loose all the previous restore points but it seems to resolve the issue.

Collapse -
by squirrelonfire / November 18, 2004 10:31 PM PST

y dont u try uninstall SP2 and try System Restore just to reconfirm that the problem is SP2 and not your system.

Collapse -
How I fixed the problem can't turn off system restore
by ksknives-1 / June 27, 2008 10:02 AM PDT

I also had the very same problem for the past week. I was trying every thing that I could think of to fix the problem. I was minutes away form removing IE7 and then reinstalling it when I thought of one of my repair tools and give it a try. LOW AND BEHOLD IT FIXED MY PROBLEM. I can now once again turn off system restore. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
I used the tool Dial-a-fix, You can download it from http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix. Make sure to familiarize your self with the tool before using it. It's actually very easy to understand and very user friendly. It's not complicated at all. It fixes a lot of other things as well and has saved me more than once to fixing a problem.
Well what I did to fix my system restore so that I can shut it off is opened Dial-a-fix. I then placed a check mark in all the boxes in section # 4 & #5. Theirs only 5 sections. The FOURTH Section is NAMED: SSL/HTTS/Cryptography. Check mark ALL Fix SSL/HTTPS/Crypts:: Then go on to #5 Registration Center: Check mark all. FINALLY STEP: CLICK GO in the bottom left hand corner.

I WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK.!!

It worked for me and I hope it does the same for anyone else with this problem.

ksaari

Collapse -
How to Disable System Restore in Windows XP Home Edition SP2
by bhelmick / October 7, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

I'm not sure whether it is SP2, or just Windows XP Home Edition (as opposed to Windows XP Professional), but for sure, the System Restore on/off switch, which is generally reported to be in the System Properties menu (reached by either opening "System" in the the Control Panel, or by right clicking My Computer and selecting Properties) is simply not there in Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

The only way to shut down System Restore in this version of XP is to disable it in Services, which is accessed either by clicking Start, Run and entering services.msc, or by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Manage, and scrolling down to Services. Once in Services, scroll down to System Restore, right click on it, select Properties, and then select Disable.

Collapse -
stop automatic restore point creations on XPH SP3's
by yourweldguru / February 19, 2010 12:10 PM PST

Like most users, we find that despite MS's infinite propensity to add bloatware, it's only surpassed by MS's finite propensity to deprive users of necessities.

One such necessity is to disable automatic restore point creations such that it might be possible to reliably count on restore points actually be functional when needed, ie; MS's system restore's skizm of 'take it or leave it' simply dumps automatic restore point creations as well as disables or deletes restore points after a certain period of time lapses (correct me there if I'm misinformed).

The huge issue surrounding system restore is it's unreliability caused in most cases purely as a result of MS's neglecting to provide an adequate user interface for SR, eg; 'tuen off automatic restore point creations' and 'permanently set SR only for specific drive(s)'.

Those two 'simple' interfaces would prevent the most common cause for SR points failing to restore the OS, the current SR appears incapable of restoration when a particular drive is not online and moreover, online and identified exactly as it was when the restore point was created, ie; that's exacerbated by yet another MS failure, that being where the order of introduction onto the system predicates the drive letter assignments for other drives such as an external hard drives, so if either the errantly included EHD(s) and/or the intentionally included EHD(s) aren't online again and are not named excatly as they were when a desired restore point was created, no doubt the system restore point will fail.

As such it seems the current MS system restore utility is forced upon users in a less than reliable and/or user friendly state, ie; it like a large degree of MS's programs, can be more trouble than it's worth (which tells us how little forethought and expense MS actualy puts into most of them).

This post is not so much a rant as it is a plea for you talented hackers out there. Surely there's one man out there who can crack MS's poorly designed utilities and otherwise resolve one of the biggest and most glaring of all MS's software design inadequacies.

I mean, who doesn't want a SR utility that can go back to the point of a fresh install, not to mention actually and reliably restore the system to a point when we need it restored?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.