General discussion

can't start XP

My pc got infected with Microsoft security essential alert. It didn't open browser, MS word ..
I wanted to do system restore, but there wasn't any system restore point created. I checked yesterday there were many restore point exist. I restarted my pc in safe mode, the pc freezed.
When I double clicked on c: drive using ubuntu it asked for authentication(System policy preventing access..) I gave the right password it didn't open. This message is displayed "DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReplly: Did not receive a reply." Previously I was able to access xp files using ubuntu and no authentication was asked.

Next, I tried running XP. The pc shows a black screen, it didn't even show the progress bar when xp loads.

Please help me out.

Windows XP sp2
Ubuntu 8.10

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: can't start XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can't start XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just wondering.

I see XP is at SP2 when SP3 has been out for over a year. SP3 contained many security fixes and by now that issue with the HP AMD machines is one we know how to deal with. You held back and got hit with malware that may have done less damage but what may be interesting is why no SP3?

I also see a very outdated Ubuntu. Isn't it up to 10.x?

Try running 10.x Ubuntu from CD to see if you can save your files. OR the cheap fix of installing a new blank drive to install XP and Ubuntu fresh then add your old drive later to reclaim files that are not on your backup.

==> Here's my thought. System Restore was not a known method to repair that malware. You appear to have tried something new and it's done some deep damage to the OS. Next time, research how others are dealing with the malware.

Bob

- Collapse -

I have installed ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04. Both of them make my pc go freeze after around 30 seconds. Ubuntu 8.10 works best for my pc. For running windows 7, I need a new machine.

I have faced this similar problem on another pc(friend pc). I managed to format c: and then tried to install fresh copy. But, the pc either hangs or shutdown during installation. So I'm really scared to format my pc.

==> Here's my thought. System Restore was not a known method to repair that malware. You appear to have tried something new and it's done some deep damage to the OS. Next time, research how others are dealing with the malware.

THankyou I will follow this advice from now on.

- Collapse -
"I have installed ubuntu"

My advice was to boot and run from an Ubuntu 10.x CD.

IF THAT LOCKS UP then we need to look at the hardware. Cleaning the dust off the heat sinks is a good start.

Reading your posts I missed what machine this is, age, make, etc.
Bob

- Collapse -
I have installed ubuntu

Whats next?

- Collapse -
Sorry about that.

I can only guess that subtle hints that what machine this is and more is not clear enough that you should tell more. Also I wrote about running Ubuntu from CD yet you installed it.

Maybe a shop counter can fix this for you?
Bob

- Collapse -
Machine config

Core 2 Duo 2GHZ
Ram 1GB
HDD 160GB
AGP 128MB

Please note: I'm not able to boot windows. The PC freezes with a black screen, before progress bar of xp loads. I can't access my c and all other xp drive, using ubuntu 8.10.

I haven't yet tried repairing windows using widows CD nor the recovery console. Do you think it will be a good idea to use them?

- Collapse -
Yes and one reason to not do that.

If you didn't backup your stuff then it would be a bad idea.

The rather terse list you gave puts this machine right at the time period of when BAD CAPS were found. You can research that and inspect the machine.

It's a shame we are at this many posts you it appears you will have to take it to a shop. I can't guess why you didn't try my suggestions.
Bob

- Collapse -
sth good has happened.

I removed the dust and then ran Ubuntu 10.04. Good thing is, I was able to recover my files that was in c drive. Using ubuntu 10.04 all files of windows were shown.

What next?
Do you want me
1)reinstall without format
2)reinstall with format
3) run recovery consol

- Collapse -
Now that you have your files safely backed up.

It is your choice on how to repair or start over.

-> You may wonder why there is no "correct way" to repair your system. In your case there are two reasons.

1. Windows (and Microsoft) never provided a sure fire way to repair the OS short of installing it again.
2. Your system is a dual boot. This means that odd things happen that the maintainer of this system would have to create systems and procedures to cure what happens when it all goes south.

If it's malware, and the name of the malware is known you can use google to see if there is a known fix.
Bob

- Collapse -
format and intall fresh copy

I have formatted my c: drive using the windows CD(quick format).
There are few new things happening which I never saw before. Like when I click on anything inside control panel e.g system; a message pops up saying Data execution prevention, and I'm not able to run system.

Another new thing that I noticed is that, every time xp starts, it asks to write username and password.

Are these all due to virus??

Do I need to remove system restore files in all other drives? those drives are not formatted.

Looking for your suggestion

- Collapse -
The name and password on login

Is an option that you can control. I can only guess and apologise in advance that you are new to XP's logon options. If so most of this is easy to research with google and this phrase "Change how XP lets me log on".

About the virus. I can't say that logon options is something a virus we know affects. Given we can change this, why not change it to your preference?

As to restore system files in all other drives, that is not normal. But you may have a reason to do that. Please tell why you want that?

Bob

- Collapse -
Virus persist

I thought few virus may be hiding in other drives.

My pc is still infected with virus. I ran Malwarebytes, kasper and found numerous virus hiding. Where did they come from?

- Collapse -
Where does the virus come from?

You'll have to find out where. It's not from anything I read in your posts but the worst virus I came across was someone's XP CD. I didn't think anything about when the owner supplied a copy of their XP CD but later we scanned it and found a pest on that CD. Turned out it was a cracked copy.

Not much we could do for them. They felt entitled to a free XP so they downloaded it from some torrent.

Go figure what the lesson here is.
Bob

- Collapse -
CD is clean

I don't think virus came from the CD. I am using this CD for a long time.

- Collapse -
Cracked

For one, as Bob stated, this would likely come from a cracked CD. On the other hand, you state you've used it many times prior.

Since it's only word against word currently, and you've already installed, I suggest doing another reinstall but this time use DBAN.

Don't use the beta, just the top choice where it says, looking for latest version, right above the two folder choices.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/

read about Dban here...

http://www.dban.org/about

It's fairly simple, it will thoroughly wipe the drive. Download the iso, burn to disk, run it from boot then reinstall XP clean.

Let us know how it goes.

- Collapse -
You didn't tell.

Where this CD came from. My encounter with the virus on the XP CD was yes, a CD they had used for years. It was still there and only recent scans found the virus after the install. Very strange, and quite sneaky of the person who installed the virus in the XP torrent!
Bob

- Collapse -

After formatting the drive and installing a fresh copy of windows. I switched off the pc. After 2 hours I ran the pc again. When the pc starts it asks from username and password inside XP. As fas as I remember this message was not shown when I used to format the drive and install fresh copy. THis awkward events seems like virus is not going away even after formating and then installing a fresh copy.

Can I use DBAN to format only c drive? I don't want to wipe my other drives even if I have a backup.

- Collapse -
DBAN only wipes attached drives.

But it appears I need to repeat my questions and answers.

1. You know you can tailor the login but appear to think that's a virus.
2. You seem to avoid answering the question about the XP CD. If there is any doubt that it's the wrong one, go get the right one.
Bob

- Collapse -
After

formatting the drive, I would also like to hear your answers to Bob's questions.

- Collapse -
the truth

My XP CD is not genuine. I guess you are happy now. In my country you don't get anything genuine. However, for the last 2 yrs authentic anti-virus are being sold. Beside this antivirus we don't find anything genuine here. So even if you ask me to get the original one, thats not at all possible. I don't have a paypal/credit/master account to get the original license.

But, if you buy a laptop, then you might have genuine OS. Because, the laptop are imported and XP is already installed.

- Collapse -
more..

I don't use any anti-virus may be that's why my pc got infected.

- Collapse -
When you get a legitimate OS CD

Things will work must better.

This forum does not allow discussion about such CDs. If you need an OS without strings I suggest Linux.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info