Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't start Recovery Console from XP CD. . .

by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2007 7:40 AM PST

I've only had to do this once before but my web server is acting flaky. So I inserted the XP CD and rebooted. It went through the gyrations to the screen, got to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, I pressed "R" to repair the installation using Recovery Console. I'm then asked which Windows installation I want to log into, and there is only one, I enter 1. I'm then asked for the Administrator password. There never has been one, I never installed one. I press enter and I get this:

C:\Windows

And it just sits there. Best I remember it's supposed to do something. Again, there never has been an Administrator password. Is there a default?

Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't start Recovery Console from XP CD. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't start Recovery Console from XP CD. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Well, duh, never mind.
by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2007 8:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Ok, yes, help. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2007 8:29 AM PST

Isn't there a repair function? Like as in start from the CD and isn't there something that will repair the XP installation?

Collapse -
Repair vs Recovery
by sheilakmcd / January 1, 2007 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: Ok, yes, help. . .

You can do a repair install, which installs XP over top of itself, fixing the OS while leaving your documents and settings intact. (Hopefully)

Instead of choosing R for recovery console, you choose To setup Windows XP now, press Enter. Then you accept the license agreement and you get a screen where you can choose repair current installation.

Make sure you back up all important stuff 1st, in case something goes wrong.

If you have SP2 and your XP CD doesn't, you'll have problems because it will tell you that your current OS is newer than the one you are trying to install. You can get around that by using a slipstreamed CD.

You'll need to redo Windows update, so make sure your firewall is on before you connect to the net.

Google XP Repair Install and you can get step-by-step instructions with lots of warnings and caveats noted.

Collapse -
Repair
by Edward ODaniel / January 2, 2007 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Ok, yes, help. . .

Wayne, whether you can perform a repair installation or not depends on whether you have an OEM or a Retail CD.

The Retail CD will do a repair installation but the OEM Cd overwrites the existing installation and all settings and configurations are lost and installed programs require reinstalling.

Collapse -
C:\windows... is the correct prompt for Recovery Console
by trublubush / January 2, 2007 9:29 AM PST

Your Recovery Console is working fine!

What you need to do is LEARN HOW TO USE IT!!

Have you ever used MS DOS?? Do you know how to type in commands with the appropriate switches and with the appropriate syntax?

I suggest that you click on 'Start' and then 'Help and Support'. You'll find a page there with complete instructions on how to use Recovery console.

BTW, If you thought that Recovery Console was some fancy windowed utility with all kinds of neat things to click on with your mouse, forget it, ...Homey don't play 'dat! Recovery Console uses keyboard interface only and you have to know what your doing or you could really mess up your computer.

Good luck,
TruBlu

Collapse -
I have a Windows XP OEM Home Edition
by DarCLew2 / January 2, 2007 12:54 PM PST

And I can repair windows with it. I wait until it says, on startup, Boot from CD. Then it starts loading WINXP, it will state that there is a WINXP already installed. Do you want to repair it? Do you want to do a complete install? If I do, it will say that the format will wipe everything out of C: This requires first D, ENTER, followed by L & Enter. There is a 3rd choice but I have done these two. I remeber deleting a partition and leaving 8MB installed. Check your boot sequence, A: will not work. Have a Zip Drive installed? remove the gray cable and it's power, later, you can reinstall it. Darrell L.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!