Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program

I downloaded a stupid travel"help" program called sidestep. When I click on Add/Remove to remove it, nothing happens. When I get Sidestep files on Find, there is one uninstall file; but it won't open.

What's a body to do? Not just about Sidestep but about any progam that refuses to leave.

Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program

In reply to: Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program

goto it's direcotry and delete the whole thing...just find whatever it's main directory is
Example: C:Program Files\Sidestep\
just delete the master directory, that is how I got rid of Bonzai Buddy how many ever years ago (that is the worst Spyware program ever) I know there is a better way to get rid of software than just madly deleting the folders...if you have Norton System Works it will perform the delete for you, I have NSW 2003 and it will do software deletes.

Collapse -
Thanks, ozo, for the input

In reply to: Re: Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program

grandpaw

Collapse -

In reply to: Can't sidestep sidestep, ie, remove the program

My first three paragraphs in this "forum thread" for information -- then if you still have the installation program on the system somewhere, try installing and then uninstalling a second time. Otherwise, it's going to be a manual find and remove by "you".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hi bill how are you hope your fine

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 'owdy Mark. ''Sands of time. . .'' explains me.

In reply to: (NT) hi bill how are you hope your fine

Collapse -

CursorCowboy, I've decided to leave sidestep alone for now because I will be getting my old 98 computer reformatted in a few days. Sidestep is not on my new XP computer. I gather from what I see on google that sidestep is pretty difficult to get rid of. McAfee says to, among other things, use the Add/Removal program I tried but that didn't work. PestPatrol says it can remove Sidestep and it also gives instructions for manual removal. But they involve too many things that I'd prefer not to try since I mess up so often. Sidestep has a website that includes a purported uninstall program; it ends in "uninstall complete", or words to that effect, but Sidestep is still kicking. Thanks for the input. grandpaw

P.S. I failed to subscribe to the thread that I started and frankly forgot about it till I was googling sidestep this afternoon and ran across my own post. Now, let's see, was I going upstairs or downstairs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.