TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Can't set up Denon AVR-588

I am completely incompetent and can't get the receiver to send anything to the TV except for the cable. Cable->Denon->TV works via HDMI. The DVD player is connected to the Denon using component connectors (column 1, titled DVD/HDP), but nothing happens when I set the receiver to play DVD. I can connect the DVD player to the TV directly, but this obviously defeats the purpose of the receiver. I also have a WII I'd like to connect, but I figure if I understand how to get the DVD player to work via the receiver, I should be able to get the WII to work. I basically need step by step instructions on how to connect the DVD player to the receiver and then how to program the receiver. Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't set up Denon AVR-588
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't set up Denon AVR-588
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
set up

In reply to: Can't set up Denon AVR-588

You connections sound fine, but I know with my receiver I can switch up the inputs that can be assigned to different Video channels (like DVD, VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, etc.)

It sounds like your receiver has your DVD/HDP input set to something other than the "DVD" video channel selector.

Collapse -
As a fellow Denon user, I can confirm that their printed

In reply to: Can't set up Denon AVR-588

users manual is not written to be entertaining. However, their diagrams & by wading through all those diferent wiring setup possibilities, I have always managed to to cut through the total confusion & get setup without harm.

I do admit it may take time & you may have to read a particular section several times to decide that is describing your circumstance. You are new to this information overload, rather than completely incompetent. Of course it might as well be written in Greek at first. Hang in there...

Collapse -
Video input designation

In reply to: As a fellow Denon user, I can confirm that their printed

I am certian you can choose on the Denon an auto setting for the video and it will detect the feed. I'd go check mine, but i'm sure I would screw something up in doing so and spend the next couple of hours trying to undo it.

Collapse -
I gave up

In reply to: As a fellow Denon user, I can confirm that their printed

Thanks for your help. I returned the Denon, bought an Onkyo, and it took me less than 30 minutes to set up the system!

Collapse -
So be it. I agree that Denon is not not the most user

In reply to: I gave up

friendly for convenience. In this situation I think it is a shame because, in general, Denon is a bit superior product compared to Onkyo. I don't mean to slam Onkyo. I have had Onkyo products. C/NET reviewers confirm my opinion about onkyo having a bit more quality control reliability incidents as well as Denon producing sound that is subtly superior. Denon is aggressive to provide great bargains. But there still is some truth in that you get what you pay for.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.