Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can't send out of Google mail - can't get help from Google!

I set up Google Mail for a very elderly friend (nearly 90) but his email won't send. I didn't have to put the settings in as when I went to the set up place it had google listed there so put a dot in the spot and all the settings were put in automatically. He can receive email, but not send it, these are the messages that come up:
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 5.5.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer=14257 e23sm1191781ugd.47. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again
and when I tried again a different message came up:
An error occurred while sendingg mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTTLS command first. y1sm856699uge.10. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again

but when I put these error messages into the google search it said it did not match any documents!!! Its also impossible to make any kind of contact with google. If this fails I will have to try and fix him up with something simpler

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't send out of Google mail - can't get help from Google!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't send out of Google mail - can't get help from Google!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read your post twice and...

In reply to: Can't send out of Google mail - can't get help from Google!

Couldn't tell what email client you were trying to get working. So my solution is to go to http://www.gmail.com , log in and use the web version.
Bob

Collapse -
Cant google send email

In reply to: Read your post twice and...

He is using Thunderbird. Although I have written down step by step instructions to access his mail on the web so that he can send from there, he does not seem able to do this, even when I have sat over him, guiding him.
Its such a nuisance not being to get a response from Goodle. Reading through the other mail to them, it seems everyone else has the same problem too.

Collapse -
I don't use tbird

In reply to: Cant google send email

So I can't try that. However it works just fine here web based or not. I can't tell what or why it fails in your setup of tbird but if they can't send from the web based email, something may be horribly wrong. In fact I begin to wonder if they use IE and need to get the spyware out as well as try a fresh install of alternative web browsers.

Sorry, I don't see or experience the issue and the clues are not in your postings.
Bob

Collapse -
Cant send out google mail

In reply to: I don't use tbird

I am sorry if I have not explained it clearly. My friend is a very elderly gentleman, and yes I can send out his mail from his computer via the web site, but he finds it very confusing trying to find his way to the web etc. He does have a typed step-by-step instruction, but bear in mind, he is nearly 90, and would just like to read his email and send it from the program. I also have google mail for one of my email addresses, and use tbird without any problems. But I have checked all the settings over and over on his. And I don't at all understand what they mean by "must issue a STARTTLS command first" on one of those error messages. He does have internet explorer, but does not use it, uses Mozilla.

Collapse -
Trying simple....

In reply to: Cant send out google mail

Collapse -
And to make matters worse.

In reply to: Trying simple....

That Microsoft update this week certainly doesn't help.

Collapse -
thanks for link

In reply to: And to make matters worse.

I have printed out that information, and will pay my friend another visit to see what I can do. I still don't know what TLS means!

I expect I have got that update from MS as well, can I get rid of it?

Collapse -
About the MS update.

In reply to: thanks for link

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.