Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't See Flash USB Device in Windows Explorer

by jf518 / January 5, 2005 11:37 AM PST

I have tried connecting my 128MB flash USB pen drive to my USB (1.0) port (I tried both ports). XP Pro SP2 sees it and installs it, but I don't see it as a drive in Win Explorer or My Computer. "Safely Remove Hardware" shows it as a Generic Volume (G), but the only other place I can acknowledge its presence is in Internet Explorer. This P3 800Mhz PC is an upgrade from W98SE (9 months ago). It is fully patched, and otherwise functioning normally. Mboard is an Asus p2B-F with the last available bios upgrade. I am unable to do a clean re-install of XP Pro at present. Is there a technical workaround in the registry for this? I have experenced the same problem trying to hook up an external Firewire drive. Thanks for any help and advice.. Jay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't See Flash USB Device in Windows Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't See Flash USB Device in Windows Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flash Drive
by Stan Chambers / January 5, 2005 3:14 PM PST

Who is the mfg. of the device? Did you look at their website for drivers?
My Lexar shows in My Computer as Lexar Media (G)
But I have to install drivers when attempting to use on any older OS than XP.
As with any hardware, Windows may not automatically install the correct drivers.
Check in the device manager under disk drives to see the status of the device. If it's listed there, double click on it to see the status. Look for the yellow ? or !.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Flash Drive
by jf518 / January 8, 2005 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Flash Drive

It's made by US Modular. The mfr's website says no drivers are needed for XP.

My XP sees it as a "Flash/SM Super Talent 2.0 USB Device"

Microsoft Driver 5.1.2535 (7/1/2001)

Is there an alternate driver to try under XP?

Jay

Collapse -
SuperTalent Flash USB2.0 FLASH DRIVE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2005 10:21 AM PST

I found it as an USB 2.0 drive with no mention it would work on USB 1.1 ports.

Bob

Collapse -
SUPER TALENT FLASH DRIVE
by jf518 / January 8, 2005 1:49 PM PST

Thanks Bob,

So that's what XP detects this flash pen as. What compatible driver should I use instead? The specs on the pen do say it will work for both USB 1.0 and 2.0.
And it does set up properly in the system (and can see it as the G-Drive in XP's Disk Management).

The only drivers I see on the mfg's website are for 98/98SE. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Jay

Collapse -
Flash Drive
by Stan Chambers / January 8, 2005 2:52 PM PST

When you right click on a file, check in the "Send To" options. Is the drive listed there as an option?
Look in Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab, Device Manager. The second item in the list should be Disk Drives. Click the + beside the Disk Drives entry. Is the device listed there. If so, double click on the drive to find the status.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Flash Drive
by jf518 / January 8, 2005 9:35 PM PST

Hi Ernie,

Right-clicking a file does not bring up the flash drive (G) as a send-to option.

However, the flash drive does show up in Device Manager under Disk Drives and says it is 'working properly'.

Jay

Collapse -
Computer Management
by Merl Priester / January 8, 2005 3:31 PM PST

Is there an option to format the pen drive in computer management? Look to see if it shows a file format there.

That might fix the problem, if it is not quite right.

Collapse -
Computer Management
by jf518 / January 8, 2005 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Computer Management

Hi Merl:

Disk Management shows the pen drive file format as "Fat".

Re-formatting to FAT32 doesn't appear to change anything.

Jay

Collapse -
Recap: Has a drive letter. Not in Explorer and no SendTo
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2005 11:14 PM PST

1. TWEAKUI allows on to hide drive letters in Explorer.

-> Explorer is a very poor file manager. In fact I don't call it one.

2. SENDTO is an easy enough item to fix once Explorer is fixed.

a. Press Start, Run, SENDTO (press enter)
b. Drag and drop the Flash drive into that folder.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap: Has a drive letter. Not in Explorer and no SendTo
by jf518 / January 8, 2005 11:32 PM PST

Bob,

Ran TWEAKUI. Sure enough, the G drive wasn't checked.

Shows up now in My Computer and Explorer.

Nice going, thanks for the time and tip.

Jay

Collapse -
Cheers to sticking with us.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2005 11:37 PM PST

Sometimes we have to go back and forth a little to gather enough clues to make a better suggestion.

Bob

Collapse -
TWEAKUI
by frankdark / January 9, 2005 3:04 AM PST

What exactly is a TWEAKUI? A function of Windows or a stand alone program or ?????

Frank

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's a tool. Use google.com to find it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2005 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: TWEAKUI
Collapse -
TWEAKUI
by frankdark / January 11, 2005 6:02 AM PST

Thanks for you recent help with TWEAKUI. I found it with no trouble.

I realize this is an XP forum but I also have a 98 which I'm trying to switch to XP. To do this, I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 512 MB to which I will download the files we want to save and then wipe out what's left and try loading XP.

Do you know if there is a 98 forum on this site?

Frank

Collapse -
Windows 95/98 Forum
by Stan Chambers / January 11, 2005 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: TWEAKUI
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.