Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't see Divx player

by Frizzel / April 27, 2006 12:20 PM PDT

I went to open the Divx Player and I could see the icon in the toolbar and hear the audio, but I can't see the actual player or video(it is off the screen to the left). I did an uninstall-reinstall, but it didn't help. Anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't see Divx player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't see Divx player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do you know
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't see Divx player

it is off the screen to the left?

If you hadn't uninstalled and re-installed I would have suggested an unusual option to try, but re-installing should have made that option unnecessary.

But anyway, the suggestion is this;

Have you, or anyone else who uses the computer, set Windows up in two screen mode?

If you have two screens you will know what I mean. Windows will display on both screens and you can drag from one screen to the other. But what makes it interesting is if you drag an application over to one screen, then turn that screen off. Then although it is visible in the task bar, you can't see it on the remaining screen.

Have a look at Display Properties, (just in case). Right click any empty part of the Desktop, select Properties, then the Settings tab, and see if both monitors, (1 and 2), are highlighted.

If so, highlight monitor 2, and take the tick out of the ''Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor'' option.

BEWARE, this is the right hand monitor, but as you say that DivX has disappeared to the left, if you de-select the wrong one, you may not have a display to work on.

Mark

Collapse -
That was the first thing i checked
by Frizzel / April 30, 2006 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you know

I already have that option disabled. That was the first thing I checked. Usually if that was the problem, the player would be off to the right on my PC, not the left. And if I right click on the icon in the tool bar and hit move, the mouse cursor would be go on that side and move it- in this case, the cursor goes to the left top of my monitor and not any further.

Collapse -
It may
by Themisive / April 30, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

Be something even simpler. I agree with Mark about the screen problem as it can have that effect, but have you stopped to consider this - does the programme just need updating?

Collapse -
Hmmm, very interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 30, 2006 7:00 PM PDT

Yes I agree that it would normally disappear off to the right. I was just hoping it was something simple like that.

When you right click the taskbar icon and select Move, you say the cursor goes to the left top of the monitor and not any further.

What would happen if, when you select Move, you then click and hold down the left mouse button and dragged the cursor to the right?

I've just tried it with this browser window and although it seems strange, I can move it about even if I cannot see the diamond shaped cursor.

Forget that. I've just tried it on my DivX Player and the cursor does exactly as you say, it moves to top left and just moves when I left click.

Some observations;

1] You can't completely move a window off to the left. Some of it must still remain because there is no momentum in Windows, (ie, you can't give a window a push with the mouse and let it glide off the side).

So, there has to be something available for you to grab.

2] Can you use the monitor controls to reduce the width of the screen so that both left and right sides are visible?

3] DivX is not like normal windows. With normal windows you can only move them by dragging the header bar. But DivX, (and WMP I have just realised), can be moved by clicking any part of it's edge.

There must be a place on the left side of the screen where you can click and drag the player back into view.

4] Have you or anyone else changed the player's skin lately? Some of these skins are very strange, and there may only be a small point sticking out to the right, (for you to grab with the mouse).

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.