General discussion

Can't Safely Remove Hardware

Hi,
I cannot SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE (an LG external hard drive).

I have tried using:
? Win XP?s Safely Remove Hardware feature.
? ?USB Safely Remove v4.2.5? (a third party program, from www.safelyremove.com).

I am using:
? Win XP SP3 (fully updated)
? An LG 320-GB 2.5? External HDD

Cheers,
Mick2222

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't Safely Remove Hardware
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't Safely Remove Hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why can't you?

Error messages are important here, so what happens when you try?

If all else fails, then shut down the computer and disconnect the USB drive when the system is powered down.

Mark

- Collapse -
Addendum

If that USB drive has it's own on/off power switch, turn it off after powering down the computer, but before physically disconnecting the drive.

Mark

- Collapse -
USB Port Still Live After Shutdown

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I have just discovered that my USB ports are still live when my computer is turned off (via Win XP's Turn Off feature). This is MOST definitely the case, as I can hear the drive working, when I hold it up to my ear!

Is this normal?

Mick2222

- Collapse -
If it's USB powered, it should spin down

and may be heard for a few seconds. Why not see if plugging it in a USB port while the PC is already causes the drive to spin up. This should not happen. If it does, something is wired incorrectly or you have a PS or motherboard problem.

- Collapse -
Spin Up

I just connected the external HDD to the computer (which was turned OFF), and the it started to Spin-Up!

I will take my computer to hospital, for some surgery...

Cheers,

Mick2222

- Collapse -
Error Message

This is USB SAFELY REMOVE's error message:

Could not find any processes locking USB device!
The device might be locked by Windows itself. Try stopping the device again and if it does not help, we recommend you shutdown the computer before this device removal to prevent possible data loss.

Mick2222

- Collapse -
For what it's worth

With XP, you don't have to use the "safely remove...." function at all. Just unplug the drive. This was for older OSs...Win 2K and below. The only reason I could think one might need it is if using delayed write but that's not the default. Just unplug and don't fret.

CNET Forums

Forum Info