Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't run Windows XP after many prior problems

by ekahpalk / July 27, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

I have a used computer running Windows XP. Since Saturday morning, I have had many error messages popping up, programs needing to close, and constant restarts while I'm using it. Now I can't even get windows to run. When it restarts, I get the initial opening screen that shows the windows logo and the statement that pressing F2 will get me to BIOS. Then it disappears for a few seconds, shows the Windows XP logo with some scrolling blue boxes below it, that disappears (this is all normal so far), then I get a blue screen with the logo again. Now usually at this point the logo is on the left, while a large icon called Resell displays on the right, and I click Resell to run windows and get the desktop and icons to appear and away I go. Now the Resell icon doesn't appear, and I can't do anything. It does the same thing when I press F8 early on and try to run Safe Mode: pretty blue screen with Windows XP logo, no option to progress. Any help for this? Thank you so much for considering!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't run Windows XP after many prior problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't run Windows XP after many prior problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That Resell icon.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 7:02 PM PDT

Google has nothing for that in this context. What is it? If you do not click that Resell icon, what would normally happen?

If you cannot even get to the Safe Mode list of options, then your own options are limited. You may need to insert the XP installation CD and perform a Repair Install.

Mark

Collapse -
How long have you had it?
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2009 7:04 PM PDT

Have you been on line with it? This sounds roughly like what can happen if the copy of XP isn't genuine. "Resell" is definitely not a standard logo or popup from Windows. Did the PC come with any sort of XP disk or recovery media. It might also help if you posted something about the hardware as such as corrupt or bad drivers can also startup failures.

Collapse -
Time to start fresh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 9:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Resell icon
by ekahpalk / July 29, 2009 3:35 AM PDT

Thank you for the responses! Okay, the resell icon: I got this computer from my dad's college when they upgraded. So the first time I turned it on, after the boot up screens, it stopped on a screen that normally would ask you to log in to Windows. I think because it was no longer associated with a network and was now a private computer, that log in part was gone. Instead, I am shown a screen with a blue background. On the left it had a large icon of Windows XP, on the right was an icon that said Resell. In order to get windows to launch and the desktop to appear, I needed to click on one of those. So a choice needed to be made, and I think they were both the same result. NOW, after boot up, I am shown that screen with a windows icon that has no options; nothing to click, even in safe mode. It looks like a screen saver view, and it sits like that no matter what I do. To shut off, I have to hold the power button until it shuts off. So I can't get windows to launch. I have tried various options in BIOS and with F8 to access the safe mode menu, but nothing changes, I keep getting that screen. So I have no install CD due to how I got it, and I can't get to the desktop to look for the file on the HD with the install either. Anyone know how to get Windows to launch and get me to the desktop? Thank you again!

Collapse -
All known repairs when Safe Mode fails require your OS CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Resell icon

You'll also need the CD-Key that goes with the CD. If you don't have either then when a problem like this strikes you either buy your own copy or install Linux.
Bob

Collapse -
XP install CD
by ekahpalk / July 29, 2009 4:30 AM PDT

Thank you for the help! I was pretty sure that was what I would have to do, just making sure.

Collapse -
Let's SAVE YOUR FILES now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: XP install CD
Collapse -
Now what
by ekahpalk / July 31, 2009 3:18 AM PDT

Okay, so I felt like I was changing my car's head gasket while trying to follow the steps you and the links within your post recommended. However, I finally figured it out. I downloaded the Knoppix material that would allow me to access my computer using Linux from a CD. I finally figured out how to burn the ISO file to CD, set my faulty computer's settings to run from the CD drive, then put it in and ran it. It seemed to work, as I saw the cute little penguins and it showed me it was congifuring and initiallizing. Then the screen went black and an 'x'-shaped cursor appeared (I assume that is the shape for Linux). Then nothing. I left it alone for a few minutes, and when I came back, the computer had shut off and the CD drive was open. Total rejection. Am I totally done? If so, what is wrong with it/what happened to my computer? Thanks!

Collapse -
Get real small.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Now what

While I note Ubuntu today, Knoppix is nice but since your machine sounds like it has problems lets' get the smallest Linux we can find.

Here it is -> DSL at http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

This way we won't ask too much of the machine. It's not as full featured but let's me get files out or in on MOST machines.
Bob

Collapse -
Bingo
by ekahpalk / July 31, 2009 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Get real small.

I got it to work! But I don't know how to work with this OS. My understanding is that you made this suggestion so that I could access my files on my computer HD and copy them to flash drive before reinstalling Windows XP. If this was your intent, how do I do that? I have 5 icons on my DSL desktop: one that looks like a doghouse, a folder named Apps/, one named MyDSL/, Firefox, and Exit. At the bottom in the taskbar I have DSL, _, Panel, Mount, Term, Files, WWW, and Fx. I explored a bit but didn't recognize anything.

I don't have an install CD with this computer (it was used from a college), and I am wondering when all is said and done, what can I do to reinstall windows XP? Will the problem (virus?) be gone when I do that? If I had Office on my computer, can I also save that to flash drive and add it once it's running again? I really just use IE, iTunes, Kodak, and Office. I know I can download iTunes again and Kodak, but I wasn't sure about Office. Thanks so much for continuing to help!

Collapse -
DSL is very small and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Bingo
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.