Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't run sfc /scannow

When I try to run it with the RUN command, all I get is a brief DOS window that shows for about a half a second, then nothing. It worked fine for a long time. Also I can't install the MSConfig Tool update to put the Tools tab option in the MSConfig window. Could these be related? I'm running SP2 with all the latest updates. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't run sfc /scannow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't run sfc /scannow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Out of curiosity

In reply to: Can't run sfc /scannow

Do you even know what the sfc program does, and in what cases it is (and isn't) useful?

In any case, while having all the latest updates installed is a good thing, it doesn't come even close to eliminating all of the risks associated with using Windows.

So, particularly if you use Internet Explorer, Outlook/Outlook Express, any file sharing/P2P programs, or MS Office... What sort of virus and malware protection do you have/use?

Collapse -
Antivirus and antispyware

In reply to: Out of curiosity

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2007, Webroot Spysweeper and Windows Defender.

Collapse -
And when...

In reply to: Antivirus and antispyware

When did you last do a complete scan of your system with any of these?

You also never answered my other question about whether or not you even know what sfc does, and what it's useful for. You may have a legitimate problem, but I can't help but wonder if you don't put your trust in tools the function of which you don't properly know.

Collapse -
Experienced user

In reply to: And when...

Yes I know completely what sfc does and I do a full scan with each of my antivirus and antimalware tools every 3 days.

Collapse -
sfc /scannow flashes DOS Box

In reply to: Can't run sfc /scannow

I had the same problem not being able to run sfc /scannow and then I read this: http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/160390.html

"you can't run it from the run window, you need to run it from a command prompt. open the run window and type in "cmd" without the quotes, then type in the sfc command."

I worked for me this way. Type sfc /scannow in the DOS box and <enter>.

I'm not sure what the fix is for it. There might be something at Kelly's Korner http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Good luck

Collapse -
Thanks for the fix ...

In reply to: sfc /scannow flashes DOS Box

I have already rebuilt my system for several reasons and it works now. But I will remember your fix and try the other links you provided for info. Thanks again for your post. Tom

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.