HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't run programs that require internet connection (help!)

by headexpl0dy / August 14, 2010 2:32 PM PDT

My computer has been acting weird lately. I use the Zune marketplace and Playon for my PS3 and whenever I try to sign in or use the programs they say that they cannot connect to the server or the bandwidth is low even though I'm getting 3mps. Even when I try to download templates for Microsoft word within the program. I've tried all of the troubleshooting that various tech support people have walked me through like allowing the programs on my AVG, disabling my firewall, etc and even getting rid of it completely but no luck. I can use the internet just fine and have run all the virus, spyware, and malware programs I have and like normal everything comes out clean. My computer did do something weird the other day though, it wouldn't get on the internet but then I got rid of my proxy and it was fine again but my programs still don't work. I've also called my ISP and there's nothing wrong with the line but whenever I use AT&T's self support tool it says that there is a problem with my connection even though it doesn't show it on their end. It also says that my line state, DSL state, and Ethernet status is down whatever that means.
I am running windows Vista 64 on an HP Pavilion m9340f.
I am OK with computers but not great and would appreciate any help y'all can give,

Thanks!

P.S. is there a good trustworthy program I can download to search for and fix problems like these that might help? I have Glary Utilities but that didn't work...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't run programs that require internet connection (help!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't run programs that require internet connection (help!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Proxy?
by WildClay / August 14, 2010 10:34 PM PDT

If you had been using a Proxy and removed it did you check IE, under Options / Connection / LAN Settings to see if the Proxy box is still checked?

Here is a good speed test site (don't get sucked in with all of the june "speed up my PC" ads, just do the BW test and see that you are really getting the bandwidth you expect, if not, make it ATT's problem again. http://www.speedtest.net/

Collapse -
it works!
by headexpl0dy / August 15, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Proxy?

Oh my god you are my freakin savior! I feel like such a schmuck, I disabled proxy's through firefox but totally forgot to do it in IE. Thanks so much, everything works again.

Collapse -
Great
by WildClay / August 15, 2010 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: it works!

Glad to hear!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.