Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

seems every time I try to run a virus scan on my win Xp....it reboots....it there away to get around the auto reboot?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

In reply to: can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

Try such in SAFE MODE.

Also, look in the EVENT VIEWER for clues.

My bet? This isn't the machine's only issue. Can you share the other issues?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

this is the only issue I am aware of at this time

Collapse -

how can I try is the safe mode?...never done this before...thanks

Collapse -
Press Start, Help and Support.

In reply to: Re:Re:can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

Type in SAFE MODE and it will tell you how to start the machine in SAFE MODE.

As to how to run the Antivirus in SAFE MODE, just find it and try again.

In closing, by sharing more information, you may get more feedback. Such as the name of the Antivirus, and more.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Press Start, Help and Support.

In reply to: Press Start, Help and Support.

I am using norton corp edition...and has all the curtent diffitions....and have even tried using an anti virus web page online with the same results...it starts the scan...then all of the sudden reboots itself

Collapse -

In reply to: Re:can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

There are a few things you can try
1. Boot into Safe Mode and try to uninstall the Anti Virus software
2. Scan your system onlne with Norton, McAfee or Trend Micro
3. Look in your Task Manager at the Processes that are running and see if there is anything that looks werid like mslaugh.exe or kldgkdhfk.exe that could be a sign of a virus infection and you can take action to stop this and scan your system (and unless your scanning your system online try not to be on the internet while scanning so that if you haven't applyed the msblaster patch or you don't have a firewall you don't run the risk of being infected by that worm since we all know that that worm scans the internet day and night looking for pcs to infect)
4. Look on your Anti-virus vendors website for a patch that they might have issued to fix the problem
5. run a spyware scnner such as Ad-Aware 6.0 or Spybot to see if it is Spyware since spyware can do some pretty weird things to your pc
6. If none of those seem to work the best course of action would be to reformat your pc that way you know that the problem has gone.

Collapse -

In reply to: can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

ok...I tried a virus scan in the safe mode...and eventho I have gone further..it still reboots itself...any suggestions anyone?

Collapse -
Time to try another antivirus. Housecall...

In reply to: Re:can't run a virus scan without computer rebooting it self..winXP

Collapse -
see my previous post about not being able to connect to micr

In reply to: Time to try another antivirus. Housecall...

osft.com

isn't this interesting:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at housecall.trendmicro.com.

but i can connect to cnet !

Collapse -
This 2004 discussion has closed.

In reply to: see my previous post about not being able to connect to micr

It's outdated and time to close it.

If you have a new discussion, please start a New discussion.

Collapse -

Had the same problem with windows xp rebooting for no reason. Tried a windows xp patch (KB 823980) which fixed the problem.

Collapse -

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.