Samsung forum

General discussion

Can't revert BD-P3600 firmware from 2.09 to 2.07

by Jim&0 / August 7, 2010 5:20 AM PDT

I see that Samsung is now showing firmware 2.07 as the latest version for BB-P3600, instead of 2.09 which has been giving all the trouble. I also saw advice from HDTech on this forum to downgrade to 2.07.

However, I have tried both the USB and the CDROM methods, and each time I only get the message "There is an error in update data. Please try again later" and the BD-P3600 then powers off.

If it makes any difference, in the past, I have only upgraded firmware through the internet on this player.

So, I seem stuck. It won't accept the 2.07 downgrade. Does anyone else get this message? Any suggestions what to do while we wait for a firmware fix from Samsung?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't revert BD-P3600 firmware from 2.09 to 2.07
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't revert BD-P3600 firmware from 2.09 to 2.07
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Similar situation
by mikebrodeur / August 8, 2010 8:41 AM PDT

I am seeing the same error with a BD-P1600 and v2.08 firmware. I've verified that the data in on the flash drive is the same as what was unzipped onto my PC by looking at the MD5 sums.

Collapse -
Can't revert BD-P3600 firmware from 2.09 to 2.07
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 9, 2010 2:03 PM PDT

Jim&0,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

The file you've downloaded is launched from the website and installed onto the drive or disc, correct? My concern is that some people don't realize that the update is a launch file that installs files onto a CD or thumbdrive, and instead they incorrectly just copy the file to the drive or to a CD.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I think I did it right
by Jim&0 / August 11, 2010 9:14 AM PDT

I am not sure what you mean by a "Launch file". What I see are two zip files, one for the cdrom and one for the USB. You download the zip file and unzip it and copy it to the USB or write the .iso image to the CDROM.

From the Samsung support site for the USB update for the BD-P3600:
1. Download the newest firmware file onto your computer from www.samsung.com.
2. If the firmware file is compressed (*.zip), the file should be uncompressed to RUF
file (*.ruf).
3. Connect a USB flash drive to your computer.
4. If there are previous versions of RUF file on USB flash drive, delete them.
5. Copy the new RUF file to USB flash drive.

From the Samsung support site for the CROM ISO image:
How to make an upgrade CD
1. Download the newest firmware file onto your computer from www.samsung.com.
2. If the firmware file is compressed (*.zip), the file should be uncompressed to RUF
file (*.ruf).
3. Please burn the CD image on a blank CD-R/RW disc.
(Recommended CD Burning Program is Nero Burning ROM.)

This is what I did in both cases. When I then tried to update the firmware by either method on the BD-P3600 I got the same error message I posted originally.

Should I have done something other than follow these instructions?

Collapse -
I think I did it right
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 12, 2010 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: I think I did it right

Jim&0,

You are correct in that the ISO file is a disc image file. I'm looking into having those instructions reviewed. I apologize - it seems that they are incorrect.

I'm going to look into that error message you're receiving as well.

--HDTech

Collapse -
bd-p3600 rolling back to 2.07
by hell606 / August 14, 2010 8:26 PM PDT

I can play most of my blu-rays again! I have tried Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Knight,Clash Of The Titans. They take forever to load but at least I can now get past the previews and to the movie. I haven't watched a movie to the end so I don't know if the skipping is also fixed. I still have problems with Alvin & the Chimpmunks the Squeakquel it gets stuck loading the novie it says menu not Load. This is better than -before. I can't say I would buy another blu-ray player from Samsung e I bought my mom a cheaper BR Player and it has played every thing and cost half of what I paid for this thing. It even has WiFi and Netflix and other Streaming programs.
It really is a shame that Samsung took so long to take care of this. Many customers and dollars lost and it could have all been avoided.

Collapse -
Update BD-P3600 rolling back to 2.07
by hell606 / August 15, 2010 1:32 AM PDT

Update: I wanted to post I can now play Alvin & The Chimpmunks II and Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince. The picture is much better. Sound is good also.

Collapse -
Exactly the same problem with USB/ISO Image Firmware
by blazenva / August 14, 2010 10:02 PM PDT

I've been having the same issue with my attempts to revert back to the 2.07 firmware. From what I've gathered by scouring the internet, some people have had luck going from 2.09 to 2.07, others have not. Are there manufacturing inconsistencies? I myself tried exactly the same approach. Downloaded the USB file, unzipped the RUF file and followed the instructions given......UPDATE ERROR......unit turns off. Downloaded the ISO image, unzipped the file and burned THE IMAGE to a disc......UPDATE ERROR......unit turns off. I found a forum somewhere else where Samsung sent a disc with the new firmware to a customer correcting this problem. SAMSUNG.....is this true? If it is, then why can't you add this to your website so we can download an ISO IMAGE of this disc to correct the problem? As a previous post mentioned, this silly problem caused by the bogus firmware you issued is really hurting your reputation. Before I had this problem, I always thought of SAMSUNG to be top notch products. My computer monitor, one of my hard drives, my refridgerator are all SAMSUNG. Now, I feel as though there is question to the quality of the other products you make.

Another issue at hand is some of your responses on other forums to people having this problem are borderline insulting, giving no compassion to your CUSTOMERS. These are the people that bought your products and they are having problems. Condescending replies only expedite the deterioration of your IMAGE.

Collapse -
I'll think twice before buying Samsung again
by Jim&0 / August 15, 2010 5:33 AM PDT

I have to agree with you. I also have been a loyal Samsung customer. I have 3 Samsung HDTVs, 2 Samsung blu-ray players, and a Samsung monitor.

However, the repeated serious blunders with the firmware on the blu-ray, and the lack of responsiveness or willingness to accept responsibility for it and to work with customers, instead of saying nothing on the Samsung support website has really been a strong lesson that this company lacks integrity when push comes to shove.

There is no shame in making mistakes in the fast moving high-tech world. If you look at the Intel or ATI support sites they post lists of current problems or bugs with their products and they are not afraid to call them bugs and problems. Then they post as they fix them, and which firmware update fixes which problems. They are honest with their customers, and their customers know what to expect.

Samsung really needs to take a lesson from companies like this. If I don't see Samsung step up to the plate on this blu-ray firmware issue which so far they haven't), I'll be taking my next purchase elsewhere as well. It's a pity. I really like most of what I got from Samsung.

Collapse -
BD-P1590 Rollback Doesn't Work
by DezMix / August 15, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

I understand some of you can roll-back to 2.07 or 2.08 but with the BD-P1590, I cannot. The player has the firmware 2.09 installed.

All instructions were followed as in the Samsung support site and via HD_Tech's instructions above. Downgrading won't work at all and during the process the BD-P1590 will shut off. I've tried this v2.08 and v2.09

Can the above mentioned unit be downgraded or not?

Collapse -
P3600 Won't Accept 2.07, either ...
by Samstungg / August 16, 2010 3:24 AM PDT

I bought my unit refurbished about three weeks ago. Spent the first two weeks trying to get it to consistently stream Netflix and hold the connection. I'm guessing I spent no less than 20 hours of trouble-shooting the first two weeks. Also, the first two Blu-Rays that I received from Netflix were Universal Studios films, and they'd sometimes work, sometimes not. I have 2.09 installed, and have taken every step (about 10 times) to download the 2.07 firmware and install it. I've tried the CD/iso route and the USB/.ruf file route. I get that 'error in update date' message others are getting. I can, however, install 2.09 on the machine, using the same methods. I've tried every setting, tried every published way to connect via wi-fi, for the first two weeks and nothing consistently worked.

Then, all of the sudden, my connection is solid enough to watch most every movie uninterrupted. And I'm 2-for-2 on my last two Blu-Rays. I'm not sure what I did that finally did the trick, 'cause I did the same thing about 10 times each. I think having re-installed 2.09 about 6-7 times might've done the trick. I'm also inputting the DNS directly on the machine (vs. 'auto'), but I tried doing that the first two weeks with little success, so not sure that's the trick that's doing it now. I've also changed my BD Live settings to 'all.' The first 5 or so times I tried this, it didn't work with a Universal Studios BD. On the 6th or 7th try, it did work.

At this point, I can do three more things: don't change a thing and hope this connection continues; 2) run ethernet/powerline ethernet for a slightly more consistent connection to the Internet or 3) wait for the 2.10 firmware, hoping that Samsung actually is listening to the problems from 2.09 firmware users and has fixed the problems. I have about 70 more days before my 90-day warranty expires. If I were to update to the future 2.10 update, there's no guarantee I'll be able to downgrade back to 2.09, though. Doesn't work for me from 2.09 to 2.07.

No need to respond with the usual suggestions (re-setting, unplugging and pressing the power button, checking checksum on the download files -- I've tried everything that I've seen published. It works for 2.09 installation, doesn't work for 2.07. Like I mentioned, the unit (for whatever reason) is working all right at this point (I get disconnections, but not every 5 minutes).

Has anybody who has had trouble installing 2.07 (from 2.09) ever found a new, unpublished way to actually get it installed?

Thanks in advance ...

Collapse -
Corrupt file
by aduboisIII / August 18, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

When I try to download the USB file it says it is corrupted. What the f.....!

Collapse -
To HD Tech
by djdickerson / August 20, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

We've tried it both ways; cd & thumb drive. The problem is that if you have a 2.09 firmware installed it will NOT revert back. And I spoke to a Tech at Samsung who said that you can not remove the 2.09 in order to install the 2.07. I've been having good luck just unplugging the internet connection if a blu-ray won't play because it "phoned home."

Collapse -
It worked for me
by hell606 / August 20, 2010 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: To HD Tech

I am sorry it didn't work for you but I was able to rollback to 2.07 from 2.09. I used the USB firmware. As I said in another post I still can't play some movies but It is much better than when I had 2.09

Collapse -
--
by tigger000005 / August 20, 2010 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: To HD Tech

I read somewhere (though I can't remember where...maybe in this thread(?)), that RESETTING (holding FF on the unit - not the remote - for 10-20 secs) the unit prior to attempting the upgrade helps/works.

Collapse -
Resetting doesn't make it work
by DezMix / August 21, 2010 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: --

I wish this advice (FF reset) would stop being suggested because it doesn't do a thing with the firmware issues we're having.

Collapse -
Reverting back to 2.07 from 2.09
by SIWilson / September 2, 2010 10:21 PM PDT

I am having this exact issue, same error message when trying to go back from 2.09 to 2.07, and then the unit powers off. My model is the BD-P4600. Does the exact same thing. And yes, I tried doing the reset (FF button) which only resets the settings (such as network) not firmware. Samsung support had erroneously led me down this path, I think mainly just to get me off the phone.
Using the reset command first does not help in doing a downgrade. I plan to upgrade to 2.12 this weekend and if that doesnt solve my standard DVD playback issues, then I will try the rollback to 2.07 again. Maybe it is just being on 2.09 that wont let me downgrade. Im thrilled that I dont have any Blu-Ray playback issues, but I am really getting irritated that I can get through 30 minutes of a standard DVD without it skipping and pixelated. Didnt have this problem prior to 2.09.

Collapse -
2.12 Appears To Work
by iamchemist / September 3, 2010 3:24 AM PDT

I did download the Samsung 2.12 firmware(USB version)yesterday, and it did appear to upgrade the firmware in my player correctly. I have yet to rent a recent Blu-ray DVD to see if it actually worked.

I did learn that, when you attempt to upgrade your firmware via Internet and get an error message like "You Already Have The Most Recent Version", the message may not mean what it says. Apparently my Samsung Blu-ray player can give that message, when the server at Samsung is too busy to deal with the download request.

Collapse -
Problem with BD-P1600 too
by iamchemist / August 22, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

I have also been unable to "downgrade" from the 2.09 firmware to the 2.08 that Samsung currently has on-line. I have tried their USB and CD routes and neither works. I get the same error message as everyone else, here. Currently Samsung says they are going to mail me a CD with 2.08 on it. Has anyone tried this approach?

I, too, am totally unimpressed with Samsung. They provided no information to a newly registered customer (me)about their 2.09 mistake, and seemed totally unaware, when I explained to them about my 2.08 problems. Yet, they have undoubtedly heard all this many times before. I fumbled for days with a Blu-ray movie that would not play, thanks to their lack of information. I will NEVER buy Samsung again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?