Laptops forum

General discussion

Can't restore OS after replacing hard drive Presario 2100

by onebyone_1958 / September 30, 2005 1:46 PM PDT

I replaced the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 2100 and put in the CD to restore the operating system. It ask for the languange, then I hit next to get to the screen that tells me all my data will be lost and click on that. It looks like it is going to the next screen but it goes from the restore screen to a black one and two words come up 'Eject Disk'. I tried this from a cold start as well (with the CD in the drive) and it did not work. The manual indicates that all I need to do is install the drive and use the software. Can someone help ? Thanks !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't restore OS after replacing hard drive Presario 2100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't restore OS after replacing hard drive Presario 2100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
desktop or notebook?
by linkit / September 30, 2005 4:15 PM PDT

Is this the Compaq Presario 2100 desktop pc or notebook pc? See if this helps:
HP & Compaq hard drive upgrade

Scroll down to ''Step 7: Configure the new hard drive''

Collapse -
Whoops!
by linkit / September 30, 2005 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: desktop or notebook?

This is the "notebook" forum, so I guess you have the notebook. The provided link still may help with the installation.

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 11:04 PM PDT

I've had a few do that when:

1. The drive was not identified by the bios.
2. The OS was one of the DOS Windows. This required an undocumented step of partitioning and formatting the drive. To add more consternation, after the partition/format the install/restore would repartition and format the drives again. I have no explanation why it couldn't do this from the beginning.

Hope this helps, but in the future share more details such as the OS being installed, the drive being identified in the BIOS, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
Restore disk set..
by ikenfixit / October 1, 2005 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

Are you trying to utilize the factory 3 disk set or a compaq dos disk? (Sort of sounds that way to me as well R.P.).. If the drive does not show up in BIOS check to be sure you didnt leave the drive connectot on the failed drive.. (You should see 44 pins straight out from the end).. This needs to be put on the new drive..

Collapse -
Restore Software
by onebyone_1958 / October 1, 2005 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

The restore discs are entitled 'Compaq QuickRestore System Recovery CD Micorsoft Windows XP Home SP1'

Collapse -
Tell if ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore Software

The drive is identified by the BIOS. And how about some details such as the drive make/model and a story. Does the old drive work?

Bob

Collapse -
Found The Problem !
by onebyone_1958 / October 1, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

I found out what was wrong. I hit 'F2' to go into setup and it could not find the new hard drive so I took it out and compared it with the old one that I just took out. Seems like there is this small black adaptor (for lack of a better term) on the back of the old hard drive that is placed over the pins on the pack of the drive. I noticed that the new one did not have this. Well to my great suprise I found out that comes off fairly easily. So I took it off and put it on the new hard drive and replaced it. When I fired up the laptop and hit 'F2' sure enough there was a hard drive there ! I ran the restore CD's and it is working like a champ. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions !

Collapse -
Good Job!
by linkit / October 1, 2005 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Found The Problem !

For future reference:

"small black adaptor" = jumper cap
where you put jumper cap = jumper pins

See "Step 5: Installing a new drive" in the link provided in the first reply to your problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!