iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Can't Restore iPod Touch

by Dan Filice / August 14, 2010 9:14 AM PDT

I had trouble with my iPod touch that was running OS 2.3 or similiar. When I connected it to my computer I had a notice that a newer software version was available (4.0?), so I attempted to update my iPod. A window opened up that said "Preparing iPod", but it did nothing, even after an hour. I disconected the iPod and reconnected, then I received a message that said "Error 1611. iTunes detecting an iPod in Recovery Mode" and it was recommended to restore the iPod. I click the Restore button, it seems like it starts the correct process until I get the same "Error 1611. iTunes detects an iPod in Recovery Mode. Click Restore to load software." After several attempts, nothing. Any ideas???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Restore iPod Touch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Restore iPod Touch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows or OS X?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 11:19 PM PDT

If Windows, take a look here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1456?viewlocale=en_US

For OS X

Try creating a new account, with admin rights, login to that account
Fire up iTunes
Connect the iPod (you may have to rename it)
See if you can restore from there.
If yes, log back into your regular account and sync your playlists.

P

Collapse -
Close, but no cigar
by Dan Filice / August 15, 2010 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows or OS X?

P,

Following your suggestion to create a new account and then syncing, I got very close. The iTunes showed something it didn't before: "Downloading Software", then it went through the "Extracting Software" step, then the "Preparing iPod for Restore" window popped up. A progress bar appeared on the iPod Touch, same as always, but nothing happened and I got the dreaded error message "The iPod could not be restored. Unknown error error occurred (1611)". I have an appointment at the Apple Store genius bar today. My iPod is out of warranty but my Mac Mini is new, so I'm blaming this on my Mac since the iPod did this when I first tried to sync to it. Yesterday I downloaded new OSX update software and now the Mac at least recognizes the iPod where it didn't yesterday.

Dan

Collapse -
Sorry Dan,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 15, 2010 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Close, but no cigar

not sure where to go from here

P

Collapse -
Got it fixed
by Dan Filice / August 15, 2010 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Dan,

I went to an Apple Store and one of the "Genius" people had some way to hard reformat the disk. It now works. Whoo-Hoo!! What do they have that I don't have to be able to format the disk that's different from the Restore option?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.