Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't respond w/in my own thread below, so posting here. What a nightmare!

by Brandon Eng / May 2, 2004 12:36 PM PDT

CNET software sometimes doesn't allow me to preview/post w/in a thread, so I'm giving an update here.

I've given up the ghost (bad pun?)

I was always leery of cloning programs, and this has proved it's point; for me, at least. I just have bad komputer karma!

Thanks to jonah and the link he provided, I dug deeper and saw a slew of problems with cloning software. The newly cloned HD was apparently tagged with an ID of some sort; that's why I couldn't boot, and getting a "can't authenticate license" kinda message.

The mistake I made when trying to do a fresh install on the 250, was that I didn't destroy the partition (or at least format it) first. I destroyed the partition and reformatted via Disk Management, mastered the drive, set cd-rom as first boot device, and in 1/2 an hr. I have a fresh spanking new OS.

I didn't prepare myself as I normally do with all my drive disks (my wife is in a cleaning frenzy, which means I have no idea where 1/2 my puter stuff is, including my TOOLKIT!)

SO...I now have the 250 as slave, with the 80 gigger with all my progs and settings. I can easily switch back and forth with the drives via my BIOS w/out having to jumper anything. I can take my time now. What a wasted weekend!

btw Art, I downloaded a demo version of Drive Copy 7, which 1: prompted me for a cd disk and 2. gave me some kind of message about something not initializing. I also downloaded a demo version of Paragon Drive Backup; it took something like 2 hrs. to create a bunch of files, and it was useless anyway. So no more cloning software for me. The only backup tool I use is Genie-Soft's Outlook Express Backup. I have literally over 700 megs of .dbx files that can be backed up to a compressed file of about 200 megs- backs up mail rules, address book, and IE favs. It's saved me many times. I tested NTI Backup Now! Deluxe, and the backup files were bigger than the original, so I don't see any point in THAT. The only credit I can give to Norton's Ghost is that the integrity of the files were perfect-Maybe I'll check it out further in the event I'm restoring back to the SAME drive, but if things get that bad, I'd prefer a clean reinstall. I was just looking for a way to clone my system just as it is; after last August's blackout, this is a newly built system, and I've tweaked things so much, I'd never be able to recreate what I've done. Oh, well, another lesson learned. Sorry for such a long post; at the very least someone can learn from my mistakes. I've always said I was Dollar Bill's personal crash test dummy. Thanks, everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't respond w/in my own thread below, so posting here. What a nightmare!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't respond w/in my own thread below, so posting here. What a nightmare!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't respond w/in my own thread below, so posting here. What a nightmare!

I did not read your post (sorry) I only read the headline and am responding to it. I experiance not being able to reply on a regular basis. The reason? Your reply is too long. Shorten it, if possible, or simply cut it in 2 pieces and reply 1/2 on 1 post 1/2 on another. Dont believe me? check out
Is there such a program?
by xcks 05/02/2004 9:40 PM
I just got done chopping it (or I tried) and still couldnt get it to standards, loseing alot of the 1st part to chopping I just left it chopped and what was left over I posted directly after. No biggie!
Live and learn ... carry on Private. lol @ my military impression.

Collapse -
I really think it's the forum software....

And XP being the most busy forum. I've had things hang on me with a one line response. Yep, live and learn. Sir, yes, Sir!

Collapse -
Brandon, sorry I read this post and other post late...
Collapse -
Re:Brandon, sorry I read this post and other post late...Hi, Frank
by Brandon Eng / May 2, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

I've been looking F.A.S.T. Also wondering how it'll screw me, lol. Hope you're well. I do tend to post rather unique problems, huh? But I'd bet you're one of the ones that clone their local drives all the time without a problem....lol. Take care.

Collapse -
Brandon, here is what I would do...

I never clone the drive. I used either Norton GHOST and lately Drive Image 7 to:

1. Create Primary partition ("inactive") my new drive the same (or greater than in MB) Primary partition of old drive along with extended partition which will be able to hold the GHOST backup or Drive Image backup of my WinXP.
2. Backup the entire of my old drive (WinXP) into an extended partition of new drive
3. Shut down the machine, remove an old drive for safety purpose. Hook up new drive into PRIMARY IDE and set it "active" by FDISK FAT32 for now. I will then convert it to NTFS later thru CONVERT command.
4. Boot into GHOST (thru floppy disk) or Drive Image 7 (thru CD-ROM) than do a restore the backup file into that active Primary partition.
4. Rebooot and make sure my new WinXP is functioning
5. Store old drive as emergency backup or wipe it out than set this drive as full extended (no primary paririon) then connect into the SLAVE IDE.

Good luck,

Collapse -
Re:Brandon, here is what I would do...
by Brandon Eng / May 3, 2004 8:45 AM PDT

Thanks for info Frank. I've copied as a txt file for future reference. So you're saying you use Ghost (I don't have Drive Image) to BACKUP the image as a file, THEN use the restore feature to the new drive, correct? Well, this'll have to wait. I think it'll be awhile before I even THINK of trying this method; no need at this point anyway...I hope, lol.

Collapse -
No different, Brandon...
by FrankQTran / May 3, 2004 11:16 AM PDT

Backup the entire WinXP and then restore to new drive would be the same as cloning your system. Sorry to mislead you.

Regards,

Collapse -
Lemme see if I have this right...
by Brandon Eng / May 3, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

On old hardrive you backup to extended partition.

On new drive (inactive) you create a primary and extended partition.

From old drive's extended partition, you copy the backup to the new extended partition.

Remove old drive, use the dos floppy, then restore backup to new primary master(fat 32). Check everything's ok, then convert to NTFS.

Do I have it right? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Almost right :-)
by FrankQTran / May 3, 2004 12:28 PM PDT

Here is my intend to say:

On new drive (inactive) you create a primary and extended partition.

From old drive's primary partition, backup to extended partition of new drive using GHOST. Make sure to create GHOST DOS bootable floppies.

Remove old drive, use the GHOST DOS floppy, then restore backup to new primary master(fat 32). Check everything's ok, then convert to NTFS.

Regards,

Collapse -
OK, Believe I got it. Thanks! ;-) (NT)
by Brandon Eng / May 3, 2004 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost right :-)

Collapse -
Brandon, good luck!!!! and....
by FrankQTran / May 3, 2004 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost right :-)

if you want to e-mail me for personal question, use FrankQTran@msn.com or FrankQTran@hotmail.com

Later,

Collapse -
Re:Can't respond w/in my own thread below, so posting here. What a nightmare!

Hey Brandon,

I read that you had some fun on this weekend and it ended up with a half-empty or half-full glass ? Wink

OK, I see that you managed to create / delete partitions on WD, because you ended with a parallel windows XP installation and your BIOS enable you to boot from one or the another.

From what I read in the below threads, my understanding is that one of your problems was that you had a mechanical restriction and that's why you used only the primary channel for the cloning process. Also, it seems that you used the following combination: the source HDD was Master and the cloned WD was Slave on primary channel. Did you use the instructions regarding "How to create a DOS system disk for Ghost" ?

But, it looks like after the cloning process (diskette based ?) you didn't boot with WD as alone. Here's the problem because I don't have a visual view of your mechanical restrictions. You'd had to have just removing the 40-pin connector from the source (Master) and leave the 40-pin connector on the WD clone. So, you power on with WD (you can change in BIOS the first bootable device) and let windows start up. In paranthesis, this should work (without rejumpering). Perhaps is better for the first time to boot the clone in Safe Mode, and after that, Restart in Normal Mode. What I'm trying to say here is similar with the article pointed by Jonah and my own words from the previous message: DON'T boot after the clone with both HDDs (this step is important).

Anyway, half-empty or half-full it was an experience and thanks for posting back your Endeavor Wink

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't respond w/in my own thread below, so posting here. What a nightmare!

Hiya Cetin,

Yeah, I created a dos diskette, and you seem to have a good handle on what I did (or DIDN'T) do. But my brains were so shot, by the time I even considered use the DOS method, even after reading all the instructions, I didn't see any upside to attempting it via the floppy way. Days before the clone attempt, I read ALL the instructions, and saw no upside doing it one way or another. Still, after Jonah's post, and some googling, doing it the floppy/dos way appeared to be the best way. Moot point now, now that I reinstalled the OS (kinda fun toggling between the 2 OSes, but this weekend was no barrel of monkeys.

Seems the important step is NOT restarting with both HDDs in (learned this well into a state of delerium.) Still, with my Norton Ghost 2003 it would automatically re-boot after the cloning, and I was afraid of shutting off the computer after the clone and re-boot process; beleive it states in the instructions with either method of cloning.

Oh, well, live and learn. When I regain my sanity, I may try again simply to *know* whether I can do it or not. With the extra 80 gig HD I'm going to put into my daughter's system I just may give it a shot.

Thanks for your input. Ain't computing fun?

Collapse -
[NT] Yep, computing is fun ? depends for whom ? ;-)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?