Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Can't reset window size

by LAG / August 1, 2010 10:35 AM PDT

I'm running Windows 7, IE8. I manually reduced the size of a webpage to half and now all my windows open to that same size. I have to hit maximize to get the full window size every time. I tried what used to work for IE7, stretching the window, holding Ctrl and closing the window but that won't work for me.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't reset window size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't reset window size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Closing the IE window while at full size...
by make_or_break / August 1, 2010 6:09 PM PDT

...doesn't work to save the last size setting?

Collapse -
windows size
by LAG / August 2, 2010 1:33 AM PDT

I'm not sure what you mean by saving?

Collapse -
Maximise the window
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: windows size

then for good measure minimise to the Taskbar. Restore to maximum then close the window down.

The next time you open it, has it remembered it's maximised state?

Mark

Collapse -
Maximise the window
by LAG / August 2, 2010 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Maximise the window

I tried to do what you suggested but how can I minimize to the taskbar and then maximize when the window isn't showing? I am feeling totally dumb here. So, I did minimize to the taskbar, then open the page from there, maximize it and closed it. Didn't work.
One thing I have noticed just now is that when I open my home page, it's full size as well as any links I open from my Windows Live Mail. Links from my homepage don't open full size but if I search Google from there, the search page opens full size.
In short, links from Windows Live Mail, Google searches from my homepage and my homepage are the only windows sized correctly.
HELP!!!!!

Collapse -
I must have misunderstood
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 7:50 PM PDT

I missed in your first post where you said this was only happening on some web pages, when clicking links. You said, "all my windows open to that same size".

You misunderstood the suggestion. Open the window that is not maximised. Maximise it, then minimise it. Now maximise it again.

However, since this is a problem with links in a web page, it seems the problem is elsewhere. Often windows sizes are decided from within the web page itself, so there may be little you can do about that.

What is your web page? May be we can try.

Do you use tabs? There are a few settings in IE8 > Tools > Internet Options > General > Tab settings that may help.

Mark

Collapse -
Still the same
by LAG / August 3, 2010 2:44 AM PDT

Still no luck with what you suggested and no, I rarely use tabs.

Sorry if I confused you in my first post. It's since then that I've actually noticed that not all pages are small. For instance, this page which I opened from Windows Live Mail is fine, if I click on restore down, it shows the page as about 3/4 of the screen, which is the size I originally manually set and can now, not get rid of.

It seems that anything I try to open from my Favorites only opens 3/4 size.
Everything else is normal.

Windows Live Mail, Home Page as well as links from them are fine.

Collapse -
And.....
by LAG / August 2, 2010 9:21 AM PDT

Links from the Google search page also open fully.
None of my favorites do.
Confused???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.