Windows 8 forum

Question

Can't reset to factory settings

Hi Everyone, Teb here with my first post on the forum. I am hoping one of you have run into this problem and have a good solution. I downloaded files that I didn't want, and they have proven to be nothing but trouble. An example of one of the files is an extension call "PriceChop". To remove it I went to the control panel and uninstalled. Then I went into all of the web browsers on my computer, went into the settings, and removed the extensions. They appear to be removed until I restart my computer. I go back into Chrome, and the extension is still there. I decided to download a program called SpyHunter which is a malware remover. I ran the program about 8 times and it is still unable to find and remove the files. I searched and searched but have been unable to find a way to remove the unwanted extensions. It has gotten to the point where the virus removed my Norton anti virus security and is trying to log into windows by itself. My wife woke me up to tell me that my computer was "freaking out". Sure enough it was trying to log into windows. I would see a password being entered and then a log in attempt. I am at the point where I just wanted to factory reset. Well, jokes on me. I go into search and typed "reset". I choose to completely reset to factory settings. When it goes to start the process it tells me I have files missing and to insert media. I come to find out that after I upgraded to windows 8.1 via the windows store, I am now unable to factory reset. Something about the ISO file no longer being there.

So, I now leave the topic in your hands, and hope you have a solution for this mess.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't reset to factory settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't reset to factory settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If the restore/reset fails I have to guess

In reply to: Can't reset to factory settings

Collapse -
Answer
Reasons to remove SpyHunter..

Teb..

I realize it's 4 days later, but you might want to read a little bit about SpyHunter. Then consider removing it.

Not long ago I had cause to post about SpyHunter, as I feel I do now. Within my post I referenced a post titled ""i can't uninstall spyhunter NO MATTER WHAT"

As already noted in the above-referenced post, it includes (in part) a quote from one their moderator's .....

'Newer versions of SpyHunter apparently installs it's own "Compact OS" and uses Grub4Dos loader to execute on boot up. The user no longer sees the normal Windows boot menu but instead sees the GRUB menu. For some folks this has resulted in SpyHunter causing a continuous loop when attempting to boot."

"When searching for unfamiliar or unknown malware on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which misclassify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or using a free removal tool. SpyHunter (SpyHunter-Installer.exe) is one of the most common "so-called" removal tools pushed by these sites
."

I now see a different thread at the same forum, created by a user who is also using a Norton product. It's titled "Spyhunter caused my computer to crash!"

Another reason and the last I'll cite. Read "SpyHunter ad campaign an enigma"

I'm not saying SpyHunter is your problem, but it could be contributng to it. If you have since resolved your issues, I would still recommend removing it.

Best of luck ..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
Why not call the maker

of this computer and purchase the restore media?
If it came loaded with Windows 8, it's not ancient and you should be able to obtain it.

Digger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.