Mac OS forum

General discussion

Can't repair?

by texvor / March 30, 2009 12:43 PM PDT

Hi
I'M ON OS 10.4 I'd had problems with blank disks being rejected and wonky uploads on i-photo - so turned to disc utility - on verify it came up with details oF problems like partitions bein and 1HFS being wrong, invalid free volume block - note in disc utlility window says " the underlying task reports failure on exit". The repair button is dimmed so I cannot fix? Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't repair?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't repair?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Repair Disk
by jedirock / March 30, 2009 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't repair?

The Repair Disk button is greyed out because you can't repair the disk that the Mac is started up from, not safely. If you boot from your OS X installation disc, it'll have an option to start Disk Utility. You can use that to repair the volume.

Collapse -
can't repair
by texvor / March 31, 2009 7:07 PM PDT

Thanks - unfortunately I have torn house apart and can't locate discs - does that mean Im going to have to get a new system or face more and more problems?

Collapse -
Unfortunately, Yes.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 31, 2009 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: can't repair

To even have a chance of repairing that internal disk you will have to boot your computer, I note you have not told us what sort of Mac it is, from an external source. CD/DVD/External hard drive.

The disks that came with your computer or a retail copy of OS X, preferably 10.4 or above, will allow you to run Disk Utility.
The other alternatives are to purchase a utility program like Tech Tool Pro, DIsk Warrior, Drive Genius or some other of your choice. These programs usually come on a bootable CD/DVD.

The other alternative is to find someone who has a Mac and borrow their copy of the OS X installation disk

P

Collapse -
repair possible
by bhasashes / April 18, 2009 10:06 PM PDT

hi,
I m a mac user for past 5 yrs. i presently own a macbook pro.
I had the same problem as u hav now.
do u whn since whn u r facing this problem?
is ur system workin slow than b4?
is any of ur applicationz quit unexpected n often?
can u tell me the specs of ur system?
so far my suggestions for ur problem is
try to find a osX installation disk from ur friend r any 1 n run disk utility from the dvd.
if u can find a mac 10.5 dvd it ll help u a lot bcoz u can even repartition ur drive without losing ur data.

Collapse -
I believe that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2009 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: repair possible

your solution has already been offered.

FYI, 10.5 Disk Utility does not allow for non-destructive partitioning.

P

Collapse -
surpised
by bhasashes / April 18, 2009 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: I believe that

hi
i hope u can do a non destructive partitioning using mac 10.5.
that is 1 of the added feature of leopard. I do know this bcoz
i myself had done many non destructive partitioning.
i am surprised to know that u cant do it.

Collapse -
hi chk
by bhasashes / April 18, 2009 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: surpised

On April 5, 2006, Apple first released Boot Camp, which produces a Windows drivers disk and a non-destructive partitioning tool to allow the installation of Windows XP or Vista without requiring a reinstallation of Mac OS X. A firmware update was also released that added legacy BIOS support to its EFI implementation. Subsequent Macintosh models shipped with the newer firmware. Now all current Macintosh systems are also able to boot legacy BIOS Operating Systems such as Windows XP and Vista

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary_diffs/chapter_3_section_10.html

Collapse -
Disk Utility
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 19, 2009 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe that

has the caveat of only "May be able to partition without loss of data"

There are a number of criteria to meet before the process will work, or not.

Regardless of whether it does or it doesn't, it does not solve the OP's problem.

Nothing more to add to this thread.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?