Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't reinstall xp after using linux.

by Akuseru1 / November 7, 2008 3:52 AM PST

A few days ago I installed ubuntu on my hard drive, now I'm trying to reinstall xp, and I'm having some troubles.

My hard drive is partioned, into two sections. One, a small one for the xp installation, and a bigger one for all my data. The smaller one I've installed xp on numerous times, never had an issue till now. With this same xp disk. But now, whenever I try, after the initial screen, (The one that lets you format, then it copies the files over to the drive, and then restarts your pc.) it either JUST Lets tells me to press any key to boot from the cd, as it did before, or, with no cd in, leaves me on a blank screen, with one underline in the upper left hand corner.

I can wait for as long as I want in either case, but the xp installation never starts up. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it to work? It never happened till I tried linux. People are telling me to just reformat the whole drive, but that has so much stuff to back up on it, and I don't have another hard drive to do it on..And like I said, it never did this till now.

One other thing.

Before linux, the partion that always had windows on it was "c" and the data part was "d". now the windows setup lists the data part as c, and I never switched it, nor do I even know how..I also don't know if that matters, But I figured I should say it, just in case.

If anyone can give me any help, that'd be awesome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't reinstall xp after using linux.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't reinstall xp after using linux.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This happens
by Jimmy Greystone / November 7, 2008 4:12 AM PST

This happens when the Windows installer runs across a partition type it can't read. So basically anything that isn't FAT or NTFS.

If you use some third party tool to remove the Linux partition, the Windows installer should start up just fine.

Collapse -
So you have a backup of your data?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2008 4:14 AM PST
Collapse -
A backup?
by Akuseru1 / November 7, 2008 4:23 AM PST

Not of the data partion, would it format my entire hard drive if I did that?

Collapse -
Then don't do these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2008 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: A backup?

Such repairs are never absolutely going to be warranted to not cause data loss. How about the other way? Install a new hard disk and add your old drive later? Cheap compared to data recovery.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay..
by Akuseru1 / November 7, 2008 4:17 AM PST

It DOES delete the linux partions..does it just leave something behind, or not delete right? In either case, what's a program that can do it for me?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?