Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Can't receive WMP11 radio broadcasts on Windows Vista pc.

With WMP 11, I am unable to receive any radio broadcasts on my 64-bit Windows Vista pc. Does being a 64-bit instead of a 32-bit system have anything to do with the problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't receive WMP11 radio broadcasts on Windows Vista pc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't receive WMP11 radio broadcasts on Windows Vista pc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Can't receive WMP11 radio broadcasts on Windows Vista pc.

I also have Vista 64 bit, and I can use WMP to listen to BBC radio shows, (UK). I am listening to the BBC's Radio 2 as I type this.

There could be many reasons, just a few below;

1] Firewall. Is your firewall blocking WMP's access to the internet?

2] Web site. Which web site are you attempting to listen to radio stations from? Perhaps they need you to install special plugins?

3] Browser security settings. Are they set too high?

Mark

Collapse -
Didn't know I had to go through the web site to listen

In reply to: No.

When I had WMP9 installed on my old pc, I remember just clicking "Play" next to my playlist station of choice to hear a radio broadcast. The "Play" button doesn't work for any of the stations in the WMP11 version. I was able to hear the BBC broadcast by clicking on "Visit Website" and then clicking on "Listen" in the website. My WMP11 setting under Options>Network>Streaming Proxy Settings: HTTP Proxy is set to Browser. RTSP is set to None (Proxy Setting option is "Do not use proxy server").

Collapse -
Ahh, I had similar problems

In reply to: Didn't know I had to go through the web site to listen

With my XP machine using WMP 9 I managed to 'save' one of the BBC's radio station links, (Radio 2), to my Desktop. When I clicked, (double clicked), that file from the Desktop, WMP would open up and connect to the radio station stratight away.

WIth my new Vista and WMP 11, I have not yet worked out how to do this. I have a similar url (web site link) file on my Desktop, but instead of opening directly into WMP 11 it now opens my Firefox browser page and I then have to click a link there to "launch BBC Radio 2 in Windows Media Player".

I still haven't worked this out yet, and at the moment, although a bit of a nuisance, it doesn't take me but a few seconds to get the station going.

If it is one of the BBC's radio stations you want to listen to, I suggest you goto http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ select your preferred station from the list, and then save that page to your browser favorites or bookmarks. Then click the "Listen Live" link.

WMP 11 is all new to me, and add that to the BBC's iPlayer system, I haven't quite got a handle on it all yet.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the help, Mark.

In reply to: Ahh, I had similar problems

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.