HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can't reach control panel

by rhodeye / October 23, 2007 10:26 AM PDT

I'm having quite a problem . I'm suddenly unable to get to the control panel.I tried using the start menu programs method and also the taskbar shortcut method. neither can I get to 'my computer' by double clicking the desktop icon.The mouse moves around but the click won't do anything, Sometimes the hourglass appears but won't disappear. Even the start menu won't come on. I have to restart the computer by pressing control/alt/ delete twice. Could someone please help. I can get online and get outlook express and do most other things. Oh yes, I forgot to say I tried rebooting many times and that didn't work.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't reach control panel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't reach control panel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There was spyware, malware that did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 8:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
did run spybot
by hexsigns / October 24, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

I did run spybot and lavasoft ad-aware and the problem remains. It seems as if something is keeping me from getting into my computer controls. It happened after I downloaded some games that worked and a beautiful 3D screen saver offer of a sea storm which didn't work(only the audio came through). I deleted it with the add/remove programs in the control panel. Its when I turned my computer on again after turning it off that the problem started.I might have to run the recovery disc.

Collapse -
I'd think about a HIJACKTHIS log reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: did run spybot
Collapse -
did run spybot
by Bob__B / October 24, 2007 6:12 AM PDT

W98 did not offer much in the area of system restore.

About the best it had was a registry restore.

Boot to DOS.....scanreg /restore.

Because of this lack of recovery it sure drove home the point to me (a few reloads the hard way) the value of backups and a TESTED recovery method.

You can use your recovery CD.....you might be shocked at what comes up missing.

Collapse -
can't reach recycle bin either
by rhodeye / October 24, 2007 12:03 PM PDT

Wanted to see if deleting from the recyle bin the 3D screen saver I downloaded than deleted using add/remove programs would help but I just found out I can't get to the recycle bin either. It was a sea storm screen saver but I only got the audio . The screen was all black on the preview . Thats why I deleted it.The download was in the display section of control panel but I didn't get a chance to see if it was still there after I deleted it from add/remove programs. Could this have caused the problem?

Collapse -
what do you mean
by rhodeye / October 24, 2007 12:24 PM PDT

What do you mean when you say I might be surprised what comes up missing if I use the restore disc? Might it damage my computer so I can't run windows anymore even if I purchase a new 98 disc? Thank you

Collapse -
Never seen this damage the PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: what do you mean

As to having the Windows 98 CD. This OS doesn't run long enough to not have that CD handy for quick repairs. If you don't have one, then I'd start making plans.

Bob

Collapse -
what do you mean
by Bob__B / October 25, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: what do you mean

"I might have to run the recovery disc."

I took that to mean you have some OEM machine..Dell..HP..etc.

And that this recovery disc came with the machine.

If that's true and were talking w98 then that disc is 6+ yrs old.

If you load that disc you will bring the machine back to the condition it was 6+ yrs ago.

Everything you have added in the last 6+ yrs will be missing.

Damage>>no.
Annoyance>>yes.

Less of an annoyance if you understand this up front and prepare yourself.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by Me, Myself and You / October 25, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

Rule of thumb; don't download any screensavers from anywhere (except sites like Microsoft.com, etc) as they will most likely gunk up your machine.

Collapse -
I ran rcovery disc
by rhodeye / October 26, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

The things that I tried didn't work though some of the suggestions I didn't try might have.I tried the sfc in run both ways Murf mentioned in the Cyber tech 98 forum and it didn't work. I ran my recovery disc that came with my emachine computer and it worked out fine. I didn't reformat the hard drive so I think I have almost everything i had before but I had to reinstall ie6 to get my ethernet card to work with my LAN email provider to get outlook express to work. I also reinstalled the ie6 upgrades. I also reinstalled AVG anti virus and the ccleaner. Also I reinstalled AD-Aware SE personal free and registry cleaner fre version which cleaned 11 of 15 problems(it only allows 20 to be fixed free and I ran out of those 20 free fixes before I ran the recovery disc so I was surprised it fixed 11 more from me but I don't know why it found 15 problems after I used the recovery disc). I'm also going to reinstall spybot because I think that one is free to. Thanks all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.