Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can't re-install windows xp pro, possibly bootskin problem?

by parx86 / September 15, 2004 4:10 AM PDT

I've been searching forums for hours and can't find anything about this problem. I'm trying to reformat my computer and reinstall windows xp pro. I boot from the xp CD, and it takes me to the blue screen with "windows setup" in the top left corner, and just stops. I've done this several times since I built the machine with the same disc, so I know it's good, and it was working fine beforehand, no hardware problems or anything of that nature, just wanted to clean C: up. I had experimented with the bootskin program from stardock, and I'm very suspicious that this may be related to the problem. I entered the BIOS and restored the default settings, even though I haven't changed anything. I've booted from my old win98se disc and it seems to work fine, I deleted my c: partition and formatted it as fat32 just to try and get something going, and I've also tried running the winnt command from the I386 folder, which copies the setup files, but when it reboots, it takes me back to the same "windows setup" screen and just stops. I let it stay there for quite a while just to make sure it wasn't going slow, but it's totally frozen. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm really starting to stress over this one Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't re-install windows xp pro, possibly bootskin problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't re-install windows xp pro, possibly bootskin problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: can't re-install windows xp pro, possibly bootskin probl
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 4:28 AM PDT

1. Formatting the drive before setup is a good way to trip up XP's installer. Just delete all the partitions and use XP's installer to create the partition. Pictures at http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

2. If you have USB devices plugged into some system, setup hangs. Don't do that.

3. If you have bad ram, setup hangs. Try http://www.memtest86.com

4. If your BIOS is out of date, bring it uptodate.

5. If your CPU overheats during setup, it hangs. Remove case cover, make it cooler.

6. If the hard disk has an errror, setup can hang. Test the drive with the drive maker's tools.

7. If the hard disk is on the wrong cable type or jumpered oddly (master on an 80 conductor cable is "odd") setup may hang.

Your post is void of all machine details. Why?

Bob

Collapse -
by parx86 / September 15, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

thanks for replying bob

I originally tried formatting the drive with the xp installation, as I know is best and my personal preference since I use NTFS, but I can't get past the blue windows setup screen, even after using fdisk to recreate the partition, the problem is the same. All cables and jumpers are fine, they haven't been changed since I built the machine in 2001. It's always worked before without unplugging any devices, but I'll give it a try without usb devices hooked up. I removed the case this morning and dusted out the heatsink on the processor, just to be sure it's clean and all, and still made no difference. Here are my machine specs:

Asus P4T800 Motherboard with AwardBIOS
Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz
512 Mb RDRAM
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Ex
Plextor 24/10/40a
Pioneer A05 4x DVD-R/W
Sony Floppy Drive
Maxtor 30Gb IDE-HD
Maxtor 80Gb IDE-HD

Everything was working fine before I decided to reformat, no hardware problems or anything, c: drive was just getting cluttered, and when I first tried and had this problem, I went back into windows and uninstalled all the stardock software I had, in particular bootskin, since I had heard of it causing problems like this, but now that the c: drive is totally clean and bios is set to defaults that have always worked, I'm really baffled by this

Collapse -
And?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

There were tests mentioned, covers off, and more.

With all that hardware, its time to downsize... The age of the machine puts it right in the timeframe where capacitors were BAD! Do you see any domes on the capacitors or leakers?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I see you found it. (USB devices plugged in!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: And?
Collapse -
Figured it out!
by parx86 / September 15, 2004 5:07 AM PDT

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction bob, I unplugged my usb devices and bam, came up totally fine. Upon closer inspection I saw that my girlfriend had left the card for her camera in our card reader, unplugged it and plugged my usb devices back in, working fine now. Apparently XP installation doesn't like flashcards Happy Anyways, thanks again for the tip, I really appreciate it

Collapse -
by ryeguy / September 15, 2004 4:30 AM PDT

I would download the killdisk program and run that. It will fomat the whole drive. I would also make a copy of the install cd and use that one, as sometimes they just get to a certain point and stop working correctly. I have had this problem and wht i suggested fixed it.

Collapse -
by parx86 / September 15, 2004 4:58 AM PDT

thanks for replying ryeguy

I've already used fdisk to recreate the partition on c:, and the copy of xp pro I'm using is a burned copy with SP1 integrated, which I have installed many times before with no problems at all

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?