Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can't print complete document

by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 11:35 AM PST

I go to file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/CallWave%20Voice%20Mail%20Guide.htm
and I try to print the document. But the bottom part of the document won't print, the part that starts with the title CALLWAVE VOICEMAIL PLUS -- QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE. Can anyone tell me why?

Although the document takes up more than one page, only one page prints and that doesn't include the above material. I tried saving the document to My Documents but encounter the same problem when I try to print the document there. I can copy and paste the material to have it in printed form, but I have previously encountered this problem and am wondering what gives rise to it.

Thank, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't print complete document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't print complete document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Making the URL an active link
by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 11:39 AM PST

Well, I thought the URL I posted would be an active link so that if anyone were willing to go there to see my problem first-hand, they could easily do so. I presume it is not an active link because I left off http://, so here it is with that:

Collapse -
Or so I thought
by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 11:44 AM PST

When I paste the URL I cited in my opening post [even without the http://], I get to the webpage in question. But when I click on the "active link" I cited in the preceding post, I get some other webpage about extensions. I wonder why it doesn't work the way I want it to? grandpaw

Collapse -
Sorry for the messup
by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Or so I thought

Forget about the URL. Maybe you can address the question anyhow. (Perhaps the URL only works for members of CallWave, although I can open it without having to log in; I guess it knows me from my phone number.) grandpaw

Collapse -
This is great
by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry for the messup

I've already had three replies to my post and its only been there a few minutes. Four, counting this one. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: 3 replies
by ChuckT / November 15, 2004 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: This is great

are your's. When I read your post, the only replies were yours, plus the one I entered.

Collapse -
Did you have to bring that up?
by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: Re: 3 replies

Thanks for bursting my bubble. Next time I'll check more carefully to see who the replies are from. grandpaw

Collapse -
that won't work
by ChuckT / November 15, 2004 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Or so I thought

Your link is NEVER going to work for anybody else. It points to a location on YOUR computer, which is not accessible (at least not the way you are trying to link it).

When you try and point to your C: drive, you can see it because it is your drive.
We can't see your drive.

Collapse -
Thanks for the education, Chuck
by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: that won't work

This is one place where "works for me" is appropriate. grandpaw

Collapse -
and that answer means?
by ChuckT / November 16, 2004 3:26 AM PST

I can't tell from your response if you are being biting, in a sarcastic answer back to me, as in
'I don't appreciate your explanation'
'I don't need any explanation, because my link works for me, so screw you'
'thanks, the webpage you so graciously found, now works for me'

Plus, I don't even know if the page address I sent you was the same;
nearly the same;
or nothing at all like what I have, but "it works for me" so I can now print out what I needed;
or nothing at all like what I wanted nor needed, so expletive off!

So, which is it? If the page that I gave you the address for, works, that is, it does print in its entirety, then there is something wrong with the page that you have on your computer (on your drive C: ).

The way in which you might be able to print out the full of what you do have, is to File>Print Preview>
and than see how many pages are supposed to print. I get 3 pages. If it shows 3 pages, and yet still does not print all 3 pages then I have a guess for that as well.

But your cryptic answers do not give me the detail that I ask for, and I'm not even sure you appreciate the time I take to try and help you, anyway.

For someone who asks a lot of questions, and I believe I have answered a few of your questions without being rude or snide, I have never been anything but nice to you, I don't appreciate an attitude. If I have somehow misinterpreted your curt response, and you are just trying to be funny, then I apologize.
Perhaps my waiting around last night for your response (since we posted about 8 messages back and forth in about 15 minutes, I sort of expected a quicker response, I know, I know, I should not have expected a near immediate response, but the rapidity of your other responses sort of got me into a ?you are on-line now? mode. Dumb me).

Collapse -
Is it this page?
by ChuckT / November 15, 2004 12:02 PM PST
Collapse -
My apologies, Chuck
by grandpaw7 / November 16, 2004 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Is it this page?

I didn't see any of your posts last evening. I quit my computer after my last post and, while yours came within minutes of that, they weren't there when I quit.

I should have seen this post this morning, but somehow I just didn't. My mind is not too sharp any time, much less at five or six in the morning.

Yes, the link you provided is the webpage I was referring to. It shows only one page in Print Preview and also prints out only one page, leaving off the part I was most interested in. But I don't think you should concern yourself any more with that.

I do indeed appreciate your help, both now and in the past, and including the trouble you have gone to in this thread. But I swear I don't know how you torture my thanking you for educating me about my "link" into the interpretations you did. If my posts leave a sour taste in you, it would be better for you to not concern yourself with them. I'd much prefer to avoid your unfair criticism even if it means losing your good help. I'm a lot more interested in serenity than I am in solutions.

I wish you all the best and I hope the people you do help will be more pleasing to you.

Collapse -
Re: My apologies, Chuck
by ChuckT / November 16, 2004 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: My apologies, Chuck

Back in the thread, where I mentioned "and your answer means" I was asking just how was I supposed to take your answer. It is not that I did take it as any one way, only that I saw several interpretations, and I wanted to know which it was.

OK, we are now past that, you weren't being rude, and I won't take offence to what was said.

Kiss, kiss, all better now Happy

Collapse -
Boy, Chuck, you are one good kisser
by grandpaw7 / November 16, 2004 11:38 AM PST

Thanks for your post. grandpaw

Collapse -
most curious, that Print Preview is still just one page
by ChuckT / November 16, 2004 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: My apologies, Chuck

Something is amiss with your browser, because when I go to that same page I see 3 pages in my Print Preview.

Are you using IE? I am using v6.0.2900.2180 sp2
Have you done all of the recent updates? I always stay current.

Have you got another printer that you could set as your default, to see if you get the same results? (Hoping to eliminate the possibility that your print driver is messing you up.)

As a work around, and this is NOT a solution, but you could get printed what you need, is to select just the text and items you want, that are missing from your other print attempts.
Then Edit>Print...>(*)Selection

In IE there is the print selection command, I don't think this exists in all the other browsers (at least I could think on one that doesn't have it). If you do have a "Print, Selection" command, then that, at least, could get you past this hurdle.

It's an idea, until the real solution does get found.

Collapse -
Re: most curious, that Print Preview is still just one page
by grandpaw7 / November 16, 2004 11:43 AM PST

Chuck, I am using Firefox. I want to see what difference IE6 makes, but I'm tuckered tonight. Pleasant dreams, grandpaw

Collapse -
Your problem is likely your browser...
by Edward ODaniel / November 16, 2004 3:14 PM PST

Mozilla does the same as you describe but Internet Explorer offers all three pages.

Mozilla does allow selecting the text and printing the selection BUT that is printer driver dependant and some have the selection disabled.

Collapse -
Re: Can't print complete document
by holtnr / November 15, 2004 11:28 PM PST

One common reason for the 1/2 page of printout, and then nothing: Many printers have optional memory expansion, as long as you don't try to print something "too complicated" they work fine. However, when you do send it too much to digest, it prints what it can, and then errors out, or prints the rest on the next sheet or .... Many variations all depending on the designer of the printer. Probably none of them actually tell you what your problem really is.

Collapse -
by billzhills / November 16, 2004 1:21 AM PST

grandpaw, Morning

Is this document a link to a web page?
As a WAG... The web page design may be preventing completion of print. If page is longer than 11" the printer will not know what to do with the extra length.

Try to select Just the lettering, copy and paste to word and see how many pages you come up with.

Saving the page to my Documents will not change the page length.

For a good answer on why and how to set up your system to allow Internet access to your file you'll have to wait for a network expert. Maybe Wayne will show up.

Collapse -
by grandpaw7 / November 16, 2004 8:04 AM PST

Hi, Bill. When I used legal size paper, I got several more lines, though not all of them. Using Fit To Page didn't change that. But this doesn't deserve any more time or attention. It's a problem that may never come up again, or at most very rarely. Thanks for the inpur, Bill. grandpaw

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 8:19 AM PST

Hiya Grandpaw,

I seem to remember that printing web pages from within a browser causes problems with a printer because the printer expects a "New page" command, to load a new blank sheet of paper to continue printing.

But in web pages, there is no "new page". The web page can scroll down for as long as, well, there's no limit. And so the printer, (poor simple minded thing that it is), gets confused and stops.

If you could save your web page as a file, (eg goto File > Save as, or Save page as in Firefox), then save to a convenient folder, (not desktop as I understand you have quite a few icons on your desktop, Happy ), the web page, and all of the objects in it, will be saved. The objects will appear in a new folder within the one you saved the web page in.

Then, open up Microsoft Word, navigate to that web page, make sure "Files of type" is shown as All files *.*, and open your web page, I think Word will open the web page with all the objects.

With Word, it will create page break points which your printer will understand.

I have tried this myself and it works reasonably well, but not all the time. But if it works for you, then you could resave the document as a Word .doc document, then you can delete the web page and folder of objects from your temporary folder.

Collapse -
by grandpaw7 / November 16, 2004 11:45 AM PST

Thanks, Mark. I'll need a clearer mind than I have right now to digest that. Hopefully, I'll have it tomorrow. Good night, grandpaw

Collapse -
by grandpaw7 / November 17, 2004 12:51 AM PST

So it is the Firefox browser that is the problem. I also used the IE browser and, sure enough, it shows and prints three pages.

Edward mentions that "Mozilla does allow selecting the text and printing the selection BUT that is printer driver dependant and some have the selection disabled". I'm thinking that other Newbies might be interested in how to do this in both IE and Firefox. But I asking for that information in a separate thread with an appropriate title so that it is more likely to be seen by interested persons.

I'm grateful to all who were willing to help. grandpaw

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 17, 2004 12:56 AM PST

Maybe it can be added to Grif's tips for Newbies thread, That always gets bumped up for the new people.

Collapse -
My Conclusion
by grandpaw7 / November 18, 2004 9:55 AM PST

You may encounter multipage documents on the web as to which Firefox will let you print only the first page. You can get around this by opening the document in IE, which will permit you to print all of the pages.

It takes someone a lot smarter than me to explain why there is this shortcoming in Firefox.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?