Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6.0

I have been having a problem recently trying to print my e-mails in Outlook Express. A few weeks ago, I suddenly found that when I clicked on the Print icon or selected Print from the File menu, nothing would go to the printer. I was able to select my printer and set all of the settings but when I clicked on the Print button, the window closed but nothing ever went to my printer.

Today I did a search on the internet for this problem and came across a suggestion that I run the following commands from the Start/Run window:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 ole32.dll

After running these commands I tried printing again. Now all that prints is the message header (I get the From, To, Sent and Subject lines only).

I am running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3. I checked the Microsoft website for any outstanding updates that I may not have installed but there none outstanding.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get these e-mails to print? I have no problems printing with any of my other software. If anyone needs any further information, just let me know.

Thanks,
Joyce

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
drivers

In reply to: Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6.0

Joyce,
I would un install current printer drivers and then re install and see what happens....if that fails, copy email text and paste that into a NOTEPAD to at least have a printed email copy.. good luck

Collapse -
Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6

In reply to: drivers

I checked out the link for the Microsoft website that was provided but it does not apply to Outlook Express 6. Also, I cannot see how re-installing the printer drivers will fix the problem as all of my other programs print just fine. It is only with Outlook Express that I am having this problem. Copying and pasting the body of my e-mails to Word or Notepad is a real pain.

I guess I will still keep on hoping that someone comes up with the right fix.

Thanks for the responses so far,
Joyce

Collapse -
Just links.

In reply to: Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6.0

Collapse -
Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6

In reply to: Just links.

I had same problem with Outlook Express6, just headers of Emails would print, not the body. Previously, OE6 worked just fine. I hadn't noticed any problem till recently, as I dont print Emails very often.

I run XP SP3 on an ageing Dell 933 with 512M memory. Internet Explorer 8 was installed sometime this year, but I use Firefox or K-Meleon as browsers.

MY SOLUTION

It seems this problem might be related to having Internet Explorer 8 installed.

Firstly, I downloaded Internet Explorer 7 installer 'msie7.exe' from an archive site (I used 'www.oldversion.com'). I did a virus check on this file, then double clicked it to start the install process. After some moments, it gave an 'installation failed' message, stating that a later version is already installed (IE Cool

Next, I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 useing 'Control Panel | Add or RemovePrograms'. Windows Internet Explorer 8 will be found near the end of the list of programs. Let the uninstall process run to completion (took some minutes on my Dell 933), and restart when prompted.

On restart, the PC found and installed Internet Explorer 7 (not sure how), and Outlook Express 6 would now print messages in full.

A Microsoft software update prompt for IE7 later appeared, which I installed, and Outlook Express still printed correctly.

Sorted !!

Greg

Collapse -
problem is really related to IE8

In reply to: Can't Print Body of E-Mails in Outlook Express 6

Hi.

The problem is really related to the combination of OE6 and IE8.

I followed your instructions and removed IE8. After restarting the desktop, the problem went away.

I am on XP.

many thx!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.