Dell forum

General discussion

can't play read or burn/rip from cd rom (lite-on ltr-24102m)

by peaceandcheese-22034670535896007640082332988359 / May 12, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

my desk top came preinstalled with a lite-on ltr-24102m which i used to burn and rip cds with no problems.
until january 2009.
for a time, i couldn't find the cd drive in the "my computer" area so i checked the device manager and did some tweaking and it registered. after that, it would take forever for a cd to play meaning the drive would kick open constantly until it actually played or read the cd. i cleaned it with a cd rom but it still got moody and played/read/burned when it wanted to.
i tried updating the driver but it doesn't seem to work. i'm thinking the drivers i have are either gone or i am looking in the wrong place. i have contacted the lite-on site and they say they don't have a driver for this. i've contacted dell but the tech was confusing. i've rolled back drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled and it's to the point now that the drive won't read or play anything at all. i know my pc is almost 9 years old (new straight from the factory back in 2001 or 2002)but it was never a problem until this year and i'm trying to exhaust all options before i have to break down and buy a new burner. any suggestions would be appreciated.

here's what i'm working with:
dell dimension 4400 with windows xp home edition 2002 with sp3
windows media player 11, media monkey gold
pentium (r) 4 cpu 1.60ghz
1.59 ghz, 640 mb of ram
the properties section of my drivers under "cd-rw drive d" state the following:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\imapi.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\redbook.sys
c:\windows\system32\storprop.dll
the last part doesn't say "drivers" so i don't know it that's part of the issue or not but i noticed that when i try to update the drivers, it goes to that folder only.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't play read or burn/rip from cd rom (lite-on ltr-24102m)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't play read or burn/rip from cd rom (lite-on ltr-24102m)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannot play read or burn/rip

Hi Peace and Cheese,

It is possible the problem is the filter, I have seen some issues related to updates.
Give this Microsoft article a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

As the article states, you "may" have to reinstall your burning software; most have not.

Best Regards,
Jeff (Dell-Predator)

Collapse -
re: lite-on ltr-24102m

thanx for getting back to me.
i forgot to mention that i have tried that step and it didn't work because there doesn't seem to be any upper or lower filters in the registry for that. i tried it anyway after your response but nothing has changed: no upper or lower filters. any way i can get them back or add them?

Collapse -
lite-on ltr-24102m
by The-Predator / May 12, 2009 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: re: lite-on ltr-24102m

Hi PeaceandCheese,

It is possible the drive has simply failed; however there are some additional trouble shooting you can do if you are game.
The drivers for optical drives are generic to Windows but they can become corrupt. Lets use a link I used on Dell`s forum for almost 10 years, it is clean and no ads:
http://www.the-predator.com
Go to Section 20, article 3 and reload the IDE controller.
If this does not help and your burning software was Dell installed Roxio and/or Sonic, the PxHelp20 filter may be missing.
Two articles, same CD/RW link above; Section 12, article 15 for the Roxio zip file; Section 15, article 19 for the manual install from a Dell Tech.
You can try running the Dell Diagnostic on the drive. I have two articles from Dell which has been updated. Same link again, Section 11, article 9 is from Dell Knowledge Base; Section 12, article 3, step #2 & 3 are from Dell-ChrisM and another Dell Tech.
Finally, I believe Dell released a firmware update for the drive, at times this may help.

Best Regards,
Jeff (Dell-Predator)

Collapse -
re: lite-on ltr-24102m
by peaceandcheese-22034670535896007640082332988359 / May 15, 2009 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: lite-on ltr-24102m

i'm about to try the new method you suggested but i wanted to make something clear:
i uninstalled roxio cd software years ago and had no issues once i took it off. i have, however, used nero cd burning software and uninstalled it in late january as it was suggested that i may have a conflict with that software and my drive (though there was no conflict prior to that). once i uninstalled it, i lost my drive for a while then tweaked and found it again but it took a while for the drive to read/rip/burn files again. would that have anything to do with the issue i have now?
i also tried the diagnostics from dell's site but nothing changed.

Collapse -
re:lite-on ltr-24102m
by The-Predator / May 16, 2009 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: re: lite-on ltr-24102m

Hi PeaceandCheese,

We have seen a number of burning programs, Roxio, Nero, Music Match, iTunes, etc loose a drive once you uninstall the software. This is almost always the Upper & Lower Filters. Whatever tweak you used, got the drive back, which is fine. Since we are dealing with Nero; Please consider jumping over to Nero`s site and running their Clean Tool. This should remove all of Nero, then reinstall Nero or whatever software you wish to use and see if the drive will work now.

Best Regards,

Jeff (Dell-Predator)

Collapse -
no upper/lower filters?
by peaceandcheese-22034670535896007640082332988359 / June 10, 2009 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: re:lite-on ltr-24102m

it seems that i don't have any upper or lower filters and i don't know how to get them back.
i'm only able to play a cd rom cleaning cd but nothing else. how am i able to play this cd but unable to play/read/burn/rip anything else?

Collapse -
No Upper & Low Filters
by The-Predator / June 12, 2009 10:32 PM PDT

Hi P&C,

May I ask, did you run the Nero Clean Tool and try re-installing Nero or another burning program?
Also, this dell drive was fair and I recall the Dell firmware did help some Members in their forum, did you give it a try?

Best Regards,
Jeff

Collapse -
No Upper & Lower Filters
by The-Predator / June 14, 2009 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: No Upper & Low Filters

P&C,

I always prefer to trouble shoot as much as possible before suggestioning replacing a device. If you give my previous post a try and still have problems with the Dell drive; jump over to New Egg

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=10&name=CD-DVD-Burners-Media

and consider one of the IDE drives, not SATA. You can pick a drive which is at least twice the device you have now for way less than $50, many in the $20`s.
If you decide on a new dirve and wish help with the installation, please post back.

Good luck,
Jeff (Dell-Predator)

Collapse -
no upper or lower filters
by peaceandcheese-22034670535896007640082332988359 / June 14, 2009 6:59 PM PDT
In reply to: No Upper & Low Filters

i ran the nero cleaning tool and can now play audio cds but data cds are not working. i will reinstall the nero and see what happens.
btw, thanks for your help in this matter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.