Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't play DVD's

by UK Cruiser 2 / September 5, 2009 7:55 PM PDT

I have Media Player 11. It will run CDR-Rs etc but when I insert a DVD-ROM nothing happens.When I RUN-Explore,ther's nothing in the drive so the disc isn't being recognised.Could this be disabled in any way ? Help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't play DVD's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't play DVD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: can't read DVD's
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't play DVD's

The common cure: replace the drive. They fail occasionally.

Collapse -
Can't Play DVD-ROM's
by UK Cruiser 2 / September 5, 2009 9:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: can't read DVD's

Replce the Drive or Driver.Either way I'm no expert is it easy to do ?
If I can still run DVD-R's etc is it the Drive ?

Collapse -
I meant drive.
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't Play DVD-ROM's

Not too dificult to do yourself. But any local shop can do it also.

Collapse -
We have done what we don't do ourselves.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2009 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't play DVD's

While I could suggest a CD/DVD lens cleaner it can cost as much as a new drive. As to replacing the drive that's done by thousands out there so research HOW TO REPLACE A DVDRW DRIVE on google to see if that's what you think you can do.

Then off to, to order up your drive and get it done.

Good luck!

PS. I doubt its the drivers. So much doubt that if you ask me how to replace, install drivers I will not answer that.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?