Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

can't place music purchased from itunes store onto i pod

by seya / May 21, 2006 7:00 AM PDT

I have a Mac g4, running OS 10.3.9, itunes 5, and have a 3rd gen 40gb ipod. I have recently purchased music from the itunes store, and can't drop it into my ipod. I figure i can always burn to cd - then re-import, but shouldn't my purchased music be able to download to my ipod easily?

thanks,
ST

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't place music purchased from itunes store onto i pod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't place music purchased from itunes store onto i pod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes it should
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 22, 2006 2:10 AM PDT

Questions:
Does the iPod appear in the lefthand pane of iTunes? (ie. is is mounted?"
Do you get any error messages when you try to drop the track on the iPod?
Do you have Automatic updating switched on or off in the preferences?
Can you drop any other tracks from iTunes onto the iPod?
Silly question, are you dragging from the playlist to the iPod in iTunes or dragging from the playlist to the iPod on the desktop?

P

Collapse -
Re: Yes It Should
by seya / May 22, 2006 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it should

Thanks...
Yes, it is mounted/appears in lefthand pane of iTunes
No, I don't get an error message, it doesn't highlight my ipod (like when i usually drop songs in there).
I have automatic updating switched off, but i also tried w/it switched on (now I have to load over 1,000 songs back on to my ipod).
Yes, i can drop all other tracks in my library onto my ipod.
I'm dragging from the playlist to the ipod in iTunes.

Thanks again...
Sad

Collapse -
One negative anser would have been good
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Yes It Should

I use auto updating after creating a folder that contained what I wanted on the iPod. I just drag the items I want into that folder and then connect the iPod. I have autoupdating set to just update from the one folder.

I forgot to ask this but is it just the one piece of purchased music or is it all the purchased music?

I'll take a look at mine whne I get home and see if I can reproduce the problem

P

Collapse -
Re: One negative anser would have been good
by seya / May 23, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

lol! I will try creating a folder and using that to autoupdate. So far it's all my purchased music. Sad

Collapse -
All the purchased music?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 9:53 PM PDT

Have you been using the same iPod with this machine since the beginning?
I wonder if it has somehow become "Unauthorized"

There must be a way to authorize it again, if that is what the problem is, check the manual and I'll take a look here

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.