Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Can't Open Operating Systems / Windows OS Forums

by mick2222 / November 9, 2009 5:56 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Open Operating Systems / Windows OS Forums
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Open Operating Systems / Windows OS Forums
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What browser are you using Mick?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2009 7:46 AM PST

Try this, Mick:

Go here and let the page completely load first:
http://forums.cnet.com/

Then hover over the "Windows OS" and click on which ever Window forum you'd like to visit.

If that doesn't work, go here to the Windows 7 forum:
http://forums.cnet.com/windows-7-forum/

And on the left nav, choose which Windows forum you'd like to access.

Please let me know what browser you are using, so I can see what's going on.

Thanks and sorry about the troubles you are having.

-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
Browser
by mick2222 / November 9, 2009 7:54 AM PST

Hi Lee,

I'm using IE 8.0.6001.18702

mick

Collapse -
Hover Mouse
by mick2222 / November 9, 2009 8:05 AM PST

Hi Lee,
I went to http://forums.cnet.com/ and hovered the mouse over Windows OS, and:

1. The Windows related links appeared, then disappeared.
2. The above mentiond links fail to reappear, whenever I re-hover the mouse...

Mick

Collapse -
The Only Link
by mick2222 / November 9, 2009 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Hover Mouse

"Windows OS" is the ONLY link that is giving trouble...

Mick.

Collapse -
It's tricky.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: The Only Link

If you approach that Windows OS link from above and the sub-menu displays, make sure that the mouse cursor follows the direction to the sub-menu, and doesn't waver off-line.

Mark

Collapse -
Let's see if this helps.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 10, 2009 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: The Only Link

We tested the link in IE8, and had no issues, however we did discover that since both of those list links are so close in proximity that you can easily open the Mac OS list accidentally if you are not precisely hovering over the Windows OS list.

What I've done is moved the Linux forum link between the Windows and Mac OS forum links, this is to hopefully prevent the Mac OS list from accidentally opening when you hover and move to the Windows OS list.

Let me know if that is better.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
(NT) Works for me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 1:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Identical Sub-Menus
by mick2222 / November 10, 2009 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Works for me

The Windows OS & Mac OS Menus, are still displaying the Mac OS Sub-Menu (both identical).
Mick.

Collapse -
(NT) That is strange... anyone else seeing this?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 10, 2009 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Identical Sub-Menus
Collapse -
It's OK Now!
by mick2222 / November 10, 2009 3:26 PM PST

I checked the Windows OS & Mac OS menus, and they are both working properly, now.
Mick

Collapse -
It's Back!
by mick2222 / November 10, 2009 3:39 PM PST
In reply to: It's OK Now!

The problem is back again (read Post 9).
This seems to be an intermittent problem...
Mick

Collapse -
Windows OS Menu
by mick2222 / November 11, 2009 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: It's Back!

Today, the correct Windows OS Sub-Menu appeard, but quickly disappeared, when I attempted to hover the mouse above it.

And now there is NO sub-menu, period!

Mick

Collapse -
Mick I really don't know what to tell you.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 11, 2009 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Windows OS Menu

The intermittent problem is what's weird. None of us here can reproduce what you are experiencing. Do you have some thing special running (plug in) on your IE8 that you can think of that could possibly cause this. And just for clarification it is only on the Windows OS link that causing issues, right? Because all other hover expand type links on the page are coded exactly the same. Does the Laptops or Macs link have the same behavior?

Anyone else with IE8 having this problem that Mick is experiencing? Please let me know.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Works for me
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / November 11, 2009 12:18 PM PST

On IE8 at home, I see the correct expanded menus everytime.

Collapse -
Yep, I reported it on the 3rd of December and
by Dango517 / December 31, 2009 5:21 AM PST

it is still a problem today, the 31st. It works the first passover of the mouse but on the second the Mac forum links appear. Once this happens you have to re-log on to the browser to try again. Currently the work around is to navigate into the forums then choose the Windows 7 forum from the list on the right hand side.

Browser IE8 32 bit
version 8.0.7600.16385
Product ID
0039-OEM-89926887-00010
update versions 0

Not good, your loosing customers. Has this become a Mac only forum?

Collapse -
Starting a new sub-thread here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 4:13 AM PST

in case we hit up against the forums limit on sub-thread length.

This problem was also discussed here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?messageID=3097334&tag=commProfileMain;profileBot#3097334

But that problem seemed to right itself somehow. We never got to the bottom of it.

I'm a little confused though.

Mick, with the menu now separated out as below;

Windows OS
Linux
Mac OS

are you saying that, if you hover your mouse cursor over the Windows OS entry, and keep it there without wavering, then first the Windows OS sub-menu appears, but is quickly replaced by the Mac OS sub-menu?

Do you not get the chance to slide the mouse to the right to the sub-menu, then down to the OS you need?

Mark

Collapse -
Multiple Sub-Menus
by mick2222 / November 11, 2009 5:13 AM PST

This is what happens when the mouse is hovering stationary above the Windows OS menu (with my hand withdrawn, for added stability) and the correct sub-menu is displayed:

1. Everything is fine, so far.

2. When I attempt to hover the mouse above the correct sub-menu, it disappears (please note, ONLY the correct sub-menu, ALWAYS disappears...).

3. I can NEVER retrieve the correct sub-menu, as there is only a blank area, where it previously was. But quite often (very often, in fact), one of various Mac sub-menus appear. Strangely, these very same various sub-menus also appear at random, under the Mac OS menu.

These random sub-menus, (I am now reading them, from 3 currently-opened IE tabs) are:

First:
.Mac rumors and speculation
.The Mac lounge
.See all Mac forums

Second:
.Mac OS X
.Mac OS classic
.See all Mac forums

Third:
.iTunes
.iLife
.iWork
.General Mac software discussions
.See all Mac forums

I don't have any applets running under IE.

Mick.

Collapse -
It's My Machine!
by mick2222 / November 11, 2009 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Multiple Sub-Menus

A friend of mine let me use his machine (same OS, etc. as mine), and everything works OK on it, so my machine must be at fault.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Mick.

Collapse -
No worries... still weird that it'shappening though...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 11, 2009 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: It's My Machine!

Mick, now go install FireFox and use it, problem should be solved Wink

Cheers!

BTW Mark, thanks for jumping in on this with all your help, another unsolved mystery... we'll just blame it on the gremlins.
Grin

Collapse -
I Misinformed You!
by mick2222 / November 11, 2009 12:21 PM PST

I misinformed you, by saying that my friend's version of IE is 8, whereas it is really 7.0.5730.13 (thought I had better come clean, so as to at least keep the fact straight, if nothing else).

I reinstalled my IE8, but the problem is still there...

I took your advice, and installed Firefox, and the problem has gone away.

Thanks for your help,
Mick

Collapse -
Glad you got it solved, (partially)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 7:44 PM PST
In reply to: I Misinformed You!

Hi Mick. Well at least Firefox works.

It has to be a setting then in your IE8. It's going to be either a Javascript setting in IE8 Tools > Internet Options somewhere, probably in the Security tab for the "Internet" or the Advanced tab, or somewhere else in Internet Options. But they are a minefield and I wouldn't know where to start.

Just to show you're not alone, I have just tried my own IE8 browser, navigated to the Forum listing main age, and my sub-menus are permanently open. However, (and just to complicate this a whole lot more), this is what I see;

I use my own Home Page. It is not published on the internet, just a web page I created myself to display all my usual links for easy access. I use Frames, and my links are in the left hand column. Clicking a link opens in the main display area of the page.

When I open the Forum main page in frames, those sub-menus are fixed open.

When I right click the forum main page link to open in its own web page as a new window or a new tab, eg without frames, the whole page displays but the sub-menus are hidden until I hover the mouse over the parent link, then I can navigate the sub-menus properly.

Perhaps a couple of images will help show what I mean;

Image using Frames.
Image not using frames.

I bet you needed that! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Firefox
by mick2222 / November 12, 2009 5:19 AM PST

Thanks Mark,

Some of my friends have often recommended that I install Firefox, but I was reluctant to do so, because I didn't have the need.

But, now that I do have the need, I am quite happy to have both browsers on my computer.

I won't be performing any surgery on IE, because of that minefield...

Cheers,
Mick.

Collapse -
Good news it's not your computer Mick!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2009 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox

We'll after some more investigation, someone was able to reproduce exactly what you were experiencing, Mick. So it is not your computer.

Sometimes it would work correctly, but with a shift + refresh on IE8, sometimes the Windows OS sub categories would disappear and sometimes it would show the Mac OS forums. Very strange indeed.

I'm going to have someone look into this and I do apologize for this issue and hopefully they would be able to figure it out.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Not My Computer
by mick2222 / November 16, 2009 3:21 AM PST

Thanks, Lee.

Well that's a relief!

Cheers,
Mick.

Collapse -
Ohh well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2009 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Not My Computer

I was convinced it was you Mick! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Shift + Refresh?
by mick2222 / November 16, 2009 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Ohh well.

So was I, Mark.

Umm, what does Shift + Refresh do?

Mick.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?