Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help

by PDI / March 28, 2004 6:10 PM PST

PC is running XP Home. AMD 1600 processor, 256MB Ram, 500+ MB free space on hard drive.
I have run adaware6 to clear out any 'funnys'.

I can log on OK but the scren that wants to open to show me my mail does not. The progesss bar freezes after about 4-5 little green markers. I've checked to see the progress of data in and data out via the TV screens in the tray - no movement at all. The computer eventually tells me that it can't find the page that I've requested. BUT I can log on to my mail on other computers (not in my house though!). Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
by HerbChong / March 30, 2004 9:06 AM PST

does this happen with any other email account you may have? you have no problems visiting any major site and seeing all the pages that are you should be able to? i assume you have scanned for a virus too? for how long has this been happening? it sounds like you are connecting to the Internet using a modem. does your ISP block anything?

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
by PDI / April 1, 2004 11:29 PM PST

Herb:
No other email account so I tried to set one up - no luck. All other major sites that I visit are OK. I can see what I expect to see. I have scanned for a virus. I use AVG. This has been happening since Tuesday 23rd / Wednesday 24th March. I do connect via a modem (I had thought that it might be a modem problem so I have ensured that I have the most recent drivers etc and I have run a diagnostic on the modem to make sure that it is behaving as it should). Am not aware of my ISP blocking anything - and why would they suddenly block something without warning - there is nothing on their homepage to indicate this.

V. V. frustrating - especially as I can log in to both email accounts on my friends computer, my daughters ........ in fact everyone can but me? What is happening?

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks.

PDI

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
by HerbChong / April 3, 2004 10:12 AM PST

it sounds like a security setting has changed on your browser. look under Tools|Internet Options|Security and check the settings for Internet. it should say Medium Low. if it says Custom, then you need to try Medium Low to see what happens.

Herb....

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
by PDI / April 19, 2004 12:24 AM PDT

Thought it might be that myself so i've already tried adjusting the security settings.
I've tried again and switched off in between but still no joy. I only get a frozen page and eventually .... page not found error.

Any further suggestions.
Thanks so far.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox. Help
by HerbChong / April 20, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

can you try another computer at your house using your ISP? have you called your ISP to check that your network settings are correct?

Herb....

Collapse -
by madegold / August 15, 2004 8:29 PM PDT

Hi there - did anyone get anywhere with this? I have exactly the same problem and done all of the things suggested in previous posts (and a couple of others!)

Collapse -
by rufojp / August 25, 2004 11:40 AM PDT

Hoping to find out if a solution was ever found for this. I just switched to a faster DSL service with my ISP. Since the switch, everything works fine except, hotmail, yahoo mail and netscape mail. Each of these email services will just timeout and eventually display 'Page not found" error. Weird thing is, they work fine if I connect via dial-up (which is another ISP) On my DSL service, they dont work and of course my ISP says its not on their end.

Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
by HerbChong / August 26, 2004 10:37 AM PDT

it sounds like your TCP/IP or Internet connection settings are not right. you need to talk to your ISP and insist. only they know the settings that work. the services may be blocking your ISP. it also may be that your proxy settings are incorrect or that your security settings in IE need changing. the Hotmail and Netscape Mail FAQ may provide some clues if everything else works.

Herb...

Collapse -
by rufojp / August 27, 2004 10:03 AM PDT

Thank you Herb,
I insisted that my ISP escalate the call to higher level support and once there, I was able to find a solution. I can't say I completly understand it, but in case it helps others, I'll explain the solution.

The faster DSL connection I was on allowed a larger MTUs (max transmission units) and because of that, the e-mail sites like Hotmail, Yahoo and a few others, were interpreting my communication as a hacking attempt so they stopped (or disallowed) communication.

My ISP support stepped me through adjusting my MTC setting to 1300 and everyting worked fine.

Collapse -
Solved
by 4321 / April 13, 2005 8:22 AM PDT

All that you have to do is reinstall internet explorer & voila, hotmail will open

Collapse -
short-term solution
by djrobhk / January 1, 2005 2:10 AM PST

Here is something that I have found to help me with the exact same problem entering my hotmail account. Up until tonight, i have had obstacles in entering my hotmail inbox, but have overcome them, frustratingly! When in my inbox however, I was still unable to open mail... imagine how i felt!

Anyway, further to Herb's reply about changing the security level to medium-low, I have also found that turning off activex and plug-ins tick box has helped. Someone somewhere wrote a post saying that this would work but suggested avoiding it. So my advice is to turn that bleeding thing off whenever you want to check your mail. it has worked for me, and now i'm happy, for the time being.

To do this go to your webbrowse 'tools' tab, internet options, security, click custom level enjoy your mail viewing. don't forget to undo your changes afterwards thou as it is not suggested that we do it this way.

rob

Collapse -
Using AVG + can't get HOTMAIL 2 OPEN in I.E. w XP system?
by Swedish kitten / August 25, 2008 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: short-term solution

Here's the solution I found:

Tools > Internet options > Security Tab > Trusted Sights
Click on sites, then add:
https://www.hotmail.com
AND
https://bl110w.blu110.mail.live.com
Click ok
then ok again on the next window
and problem was solved for me.

Now if it keeps coming back, then maybe AVG or some other program has hijacked my settings. Only time will tell.

I've been having this hijacked settings problem with the connections. I set it to Automatically detect settings, and it switches back to using proxy servers. I have yet to solve that one. It could be AVG (my anti-virus program), or something else.

Collapse -
hotmail
by emado / May 9, 2005 5:19 PM PDT

i can't open hotmail inbox

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!