Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox

by PDI / March 28, 2004 6:16 PM PST

PC is running XP Home. AMD 1600 processor, 256MB Ram, 500+ MB free space on hard drive.
I have run adaware6 to clear out any 'funnys'.

I can log on OK but the scren that wants to open to show me my mail does not. The progesss bar freezes after about 4-5 little green markers. I've checked to see the progress of data in and data out via the TV screens in the tray - no movement at all. The computer eventually tells me that it can't find the page that I've requested. BUT I can log on to my mail on other computers (not in my house though!). Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 7:20 AM PST

Hi. It sounds to me like your Internet Security settings are preventing pages loading because you have either ActiveX controls or Scripting disabled. Go to Tools menu, Internet Options, Security tab and set the Default level to Medium, click Apply. Then go to the Privacy tab, Advanced button, and make sure receiving First Person and Session Cookies are enabled (I always disable Third Party Cookies, that alone stops a lot of pop-ups). Certainly Hotmail won't work properly if it cannot "plant" Cookies on your machine. Regards

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by PDI / April 2, 2004 12:18 AM PST

Hi. PC already set up as you suggest. I can't understand what the problem is. I can't even open a new account!
Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by Kiriakos / April 2, 2004 5:35 AM PST

I have the same exact problem with Hotmail (Yahoo works OK). Security is at medium low and cookies are free. I do not get it either.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by ttt / April 4, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

sounds like a secure sites issue with IE.
try this-click start-run-type in the run box
regsvr32 softpub.dll click ok.you should get another window that says it succeeded.click ok again and try to login to hotmail.
this is a known issue with IE 6sp1 on XP

Collapse -
No dice
by Kiriakos / April 4, 2004 7:39 PM PDT

It will not fix the problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox (reply for ttt)
by PDI / April 4, 2004 9:18 PM PDT

Thanks, but no luck.
I like to knoe what I am trying to do - so can you tell me what running regsvr32 softpub.dll actually does?

I've had IE 6sp1 installed for a while before this started to happen. Any reason wht it might suddenly start to misbehave?

Cheers

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by PDI / April 19, 2004 12:16 AM PDT

I tried this - no joy at all ..... except I now get a different page when I try to logon to Hotmail. If it worked I wouldn't mind. Thanks anyway. Any other ideas ttt?

Collapse -
Re: Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by Rollo / April 5, 2004 2:17 AM PDT

What happens if, you let the page load as far as it goes, then you hit Ctrl + F5 (reload from server), a dialogue may well appear on which you'll have to click Retry ... what happens after that? Regards

Collapse -
Nothing happens
by PDI / April 19, 2004 12:18 AM PDT

I hit ctrl + F5 and I get the same response as before = nothing.
Page not found.

Suggestions?

Collapse -
Re:Nothing happens
by kip777 / April 19, 2004 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing happens

This may solve things and it wont hurt anything. This is the second time to post this command prompt today. click start, click run and type without quotes
"netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt"
follow prompts and restart computer
you havent stated if you have dialup or high speed?

Collapse -
by PDI / April 19, 2004 12:13 AM PDT

Tried the changes Rollo - no luck. Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
Re:Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by saurabh_4you / April 4, 2004 10:12 PM PDT

is this your home computer?

if it's not it's likely that firewall may be blocking access to yahoo/hotmail

anyways you can use a proxy server to access these sites

Collapse -
by PDI / April 6, 2004 1:40 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion but it is my home computer.

Collapse -
Re: Can't open Hotmail or Yahoo Inbox
by Rollo / April 5, 2004 2:19 AM PDT

Ooops, posted this to my own previous message originally.

What happens if, you let the page load as far as it goes, then you hit Ctrl + F5 (reload from server), a dialogue may well appear on which you'll have to click Retry ... what happens after that?

Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.