Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't open file

by artdummy / March 3, 2009 3:44 AM PST

I can't open a text file I have been working on a book for 6 months using windows98 wordpad and windows xp office always saving on a floppy in rich text format. Yesterday 3/2 windows office could not open file and then coverted file. after 20 minutes it displayed corrections in office word and told me to save, which I did. It saved it under the file name I had for the book file. When I look at properties on the floppy it showed very little space used. Since the book file was over 256+kb I figured it was lost got pissed and deleted the corrections file with book title. Looked in properties for hey and there now it was showing 256+kb but now I have no name to open file any ideas please! I've got a lot of in there thanks; art

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use "Open with"
by Steven Haninger / March 3, 2009 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Can't open file

Select the program of your choice that you think will work. The one that created it is always the best choice.

Collapse -
Tried it
by artdummy / March 3, 2009 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Use "Open with"

When I go to the A/ 3.1/2 floppy there is no file names under any text format or all files> Nothing to click on and then go to click open. The space that list files is empty. art

Collapse -
But you said
by Steven Haninger / March 3, 2009 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Tried it

it was showing 256k +. What is "it"?

Collapse -
it is
by artdummy / March 3, 2009 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: But you said

Ok If I'm in office word and I point and click the icon for the drop down that has the options new, open, save, and I go and click open. In the open window I click and scroll down to 31/2floppy (a:). The disk is inthe drive no names appear but if I go over to tools click that and then properties it tells me how much space is being used and how much free space. Now at the in the box next to the little picture of a floppy drive is the word america which is part of the file title. used space is at 232,960bytes 227KB free space 1,224,704bytes 1.16 MB the used space is the it. It is the size of the file america the book art

Collapse -
Re: file lost, saving on floppy
by Kees Bakker / March 3, 2009 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: it is

Indeed, saving on floppy is an option. But given that a floppy is by far (and I mean FAR) the most unreliable medium that you can choose, it's UNSAFE to use it as the only medium to store a file. That's an invitation to the gods of computing to lose it. And they will be happy to oblige.

So the most probable outcome is that you have to go back to your most recent other copy (that's called a backup copy), whereever you stored it (hard disk somewhere, USB stick, burned to CD to name 3 good possibilities, even another diskette might do). If you don't have such an another copy that means: start all over with an empty document.

Now please go into My Computer, go to the a:-drive and tell us what files it sees. Set the Folder Options in Control Panel to show ALL file extensions (that is, not to hide any) and tell us the full filenames, that's including the extension (.rtf or .doc) and the size.

Kees

Collapse -
Strange....just for the heck of it
by Steven Haninger / March 3, 2009 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: it is

bring up the command prompt (Start/Run and type "command without quotes). Type A: and press enter. Then type "attrib" (again, no quotes). Any filenames show?

Collapse -
flimsy floppy
by artdummy / March 4, 2009 12:20 AM PST

I tried all you suggestions no dice. I think kees is right floppies are to flimsy. I have a partial back up on my home machine a Dell otiplex gx1. "should tell you where I'm at in computer land. Thanks to Steven and Kees for your help, if I have any more problems and I'm sure i will I'll be back. Who knows maybe after a while I can change my user name to artsmart thanks again. art

Collapse -
Before giving up follow this link ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 4, 2009 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: flimsy floppy
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Download Restoration then unzip it wherever you want it (desktop is fine).

Run it and when it opens point it at the floppy that contained the file.

It should find the file and you should be able to restore it to another location such as your hard drive or a USB Flash drive.
Collapse -
didn't give up
by artdummy / March 4, 2009 10:33 PM PST

Mister ODaniel thanks for the tip. Went to the site folled the instructions "easy" and bang there is my file completly restored and now copied on the hard drive because I do listen Mister Kees. Thanks to the three of you for your help; art

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?