First, install LLTD on the XP computer to help Vista map the XP computer better.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

Second, Enable/CHECK "File and Printer Sharing" on both computers in the "Control Panel/Network Connections" section.

Third, if you haven't already, create the EXACT SAME new admin user on ALL computers using the same password.. Now recreate all shares again after logging in using the new admin user from all computers. . On the XP computer, share out the files, folders and printers by opening Windows Explorer, RIGHT click on the C: drive, choose "Sharing and Security", then click on the line that says: "If you understand the risk but still want to share the root...". At the next window, in the "Network Sharing and Security" section, place a CHECK mark in the "Share this folder on the network", then follow the prompts to share the drive. Click on Apply, then OK.. Perform the same thing on computer 2.. You should now be able to see and share folders between computers.

Please note, sharing the entire C: drive per the instructions above is not safe.. IF you're going to share files between computers, it's best, after following the above instructions, to then share out a single folder, such as the "My Documents" folder.. Once the "My Documets" folder is correctly shared, you can then return to the C: drive and "unshare" it.. After doing so, the "My Documents" folder will remain shared but the entire C: drive will be invisible.

Fourth, make sure that such sharing is allowed through your firewall. (On the Windows Firewall, there should be an "Exception" for "File and Printer Sharing" which is CHECKED.)

Fifth, if installing a shared printer on the Vista machine, instead of installing a "network" printer from the Vista computer, install the printer as if it was a "local" computer using the instuctions below. (Yes, I know it's "network" printer but please try the instructions below.):

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name of the XP machine....ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Next, see the link below for other networking tips:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?forumID=62&threadID=264135&messageID=2584349#2584349

Hope this helps.

Grif