Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can't navigate sites that use java

by Karin / May 6, 2004 2:11 AM PDT

I downloaded and ran a program to remove hijack and spyware. Since then, I cannot execute a link that uses java (ie javascriptpopup()). When I tried to open the backup file for the spyware to readd the removed files, it was empty.
I am running Windows XP with internet explorer 6.0. I checked to see that java is enabled in the browser options, and I set the cookie setting to allow all cookies. I also downloaded the newest explorer update to see if it would reinstall any necessary java plugins. I still can't navigate any site that uses java. Please help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't navigate sites that use java
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't navigate sites that use java
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't navigate sites that use java
by Karin / May 6, 2004 3:41 PM PDT

Upon further investigation, the spyware remover deleted/corrupted 2 .dll files from my IE registry. Can anyone direct me on how to get them back?

Collapse -
'u could ''name'' the files perhaps and get direct help.
by Cursorcowboy / May 6, 2004 9:39 PM PDT

1. Click Start, Search, All Files and Folders, More Advanced Options, enter a check in Search Hidden Files and Folders, Search System Folders, and Search Subfolders. Type ie.inf in All or Part of the File Name box, select C: in the Look In drop-down menu or the letter of the hard drive containing the Windows folder, and then click the Search button. Find the file labeled ie.inf in the result pane. Right-click this file and then from the context menu, select Install.

2. The article [Q304872] states that when you try to install IE6, you may receive an error message that can occur if it has already been installed and the installation package does not contain any new customizations -- a customized versions of Internet Explorer 6 that was created by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator that is installed instead of the default browser.

3. "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)."

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Can't navigate sites that use java
by gravytrain0930 / November 23, 2004 6:45 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: Can't navigate sites that use java
by gravytrain0930 / November 23, 2004 6:54 PM PST

can't navigate club pogo sites that use java

Collapse -
''Why not''?
by Cursorcowboy / November 24, 2004 2:11 AM PST

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

==and==

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

? Care to share with us what if any errors you receive and why you believe it's Java?

? The URL of a given site?

? What the options are for the settings (Tools, Internet Options, Advanceed, and then scroll down to Microsoft VM. Also whether you have Sun installed as well and if it's checked?

P.S.: It is not a good idea to post a thread to an old message. Simply start your own when asking a question by using the button labeled "Create new discussion" then anything posted in that message should belong to the history of your computer's problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?