General discussion

can't maximise windows because of taskbar space

I choose to permanently hide my taskbar.
however, when i maximise windows there is always a space where the taskbar was - so my windows are not fully taking up the whole screen.
I have tried to fix this problem by making the taskbar just a line before I hide it, but there is still the line when I try to maximise (even though the taskbar remains hidden, i see the desktop in the strip where it would have been)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: can't maximise windows because of taskbar space
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can't maximise windows because of taskbar space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How did you do that?

How did you 'permanently' hide your Taskbar?

When I select the 'auto-hide taskbar' option, my Maximised windows fill the whole screen, then when I mouse over the Taskbar position, the Taskbar re-appears and overlaps the bottom of the maximised window.

Does that work for you? If not what happens?

Mark

- Collapse -
taskbar eliminated but space remains

I use taskbar elimitater to permanantly hide the taskbar. I use this on my other 2 computers and don't have this problem. it's weird. Anyway, so with that the taskbar doesn't pop up at all when the cursor is at the edge. The annoying thing is the space that prevents full maximization of windows. I'm guessing there's just a tweak somewhere along the lines of 'maximise windows don't overlap taskbar'. i just don't know it or how to find it. Like i said, i don't have this problem with my other computers which are set up almost identically.

- Collapse -
Or

It's a video driver issue. I bumped into something similar and it turned out to be a bug in the video driver. I had to wait months for the driver to be fixed.

But as I read your post you are not running a stock setup. My bet is that the author of Taskbar Eliminator knows your complaint. Ask them.
Bob

- Collapse -
Take a look at how you have set the taskbar ...

properties in the three computers. I will bet that the two that work have Auto Hide checked but DO NOT have "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" checked.

- Collapse -
yep

yep that was it. i knew it would be something really simple. i'm a dope. All solved now. thanks
Happy

- Collapse -
Ahh, good work.

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info