PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can't manage 2 monitors on one GPU?

I just bought an AGP card (GeForce FX 5500, 256mg) to put into my P4, 2.4mhz Dell Dimension 4550 with 756MB of RAM running XP SP2. The card has a VGA and DVI port, so I wanted to add a second monitor, using a DVI-VGA adapter for the second LCD. The documentation that came with the card is scant at best, so I'm hoping someone can provide some feedback.

Problem 1. No matter how I configure things in display settings and in the nvidia desktop software, I cannot get the vid card to treat the monitors as separate. In the nvidia software, it bundles both monitors together (Dell and Sony). That is, when I'm identifying the primary monitor, the drop down menu items lists BOTH monitors as one item (Dell and Sony). The SAME option is in the drop down for the seconday monitor. Further confirming this is that when I ask for the monitors to be "identified" in either display settings or nvidia desktop, both monitors are labelled the same way (e.g., both display as "1" or "Dell FP")

I found some documentation on the nvidia web site that seems to indicate that there is an issue in that the drivers will not recognize both ports as independent - and this issue will not be fixed. This sounds nuts to me, so I might not be interpreting it correctly.

Problem 2. For whatever reason, this 256mb card does not perform better than my old 64mb card: I drag a video window and it trails, stutters and "tears". Plus, my PC seems slightly slower with this card.

What gives, folks? Is it simply not possible to configure two separate monitors so my desktop spans both with this setup? And barring a second monitor, why is my performace actually worse?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't manage 2 monitors on one GPU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't manage 2 monitors on one GPU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info:

In reply to: Can't manage 2 monitors on one GPU?

Problem 1: Who makes your FX 5500, like what manufacturer? Just because a card has two outs (VGA and DVI) doesn't mean it can always support dual monitors.

Problem 2: It's not really the amount of memory that a video card has that determines its potential. The FX5500 is pretty old now, what with nVidia on their 8000 series. Probably shoulda gone with something like a 6600. Also remember this, running two monitors at the same time will greatly reduce the performance.

Collapse -
Answers to your questions!

In reply to: More info:

Answer 1: Inland, which I think is Microcenter's "private label" brand.

Answer 2: Yes, I knew the FX5500 was pretty old by now, but I was looking for a boost in performance for things like basic photo editing (in Picasa and similar apps) as well as better performance in running a couple of graphics intensive apps at once...like Picasa and a streaming video or a web cam application. I'm not playing graphics intensive games, using Photoshop or editing video. I thought something like the FX5500 might be sufficient, but I might be wrong!

Collapse -
My guess is that ...

In reply to: Answers to your questions!

this card was not designed for what you wanted to do. It may have two different output but not at the same time. Also I think those dual displays card normally come with the software for that purpose (extending display) or maybe XP has that capability.

Collapse -
you're probably right

In reply to: My guess is that ...

XP can deal with multiple displays and furthermore, this card came with nvidia's "nview" software to configure multiple displays. It seems that all nvidia GPUs can support multiple displays, but not all video cards are configured to do so. I've been looking for another video card online and it is surpringly difficult to tell which cards can support multiple displays...it isn't explicit in most of the retailer's descriptions or tech specs.

Collapse -
Dual Monitors..

In reply to: Can't manage 2 monitors on one GPU?

I have the option on both of my PC's..
I like my KVM Switch..IOGEAR MINIVIEWmicro
I use two PC-towers and One Keyboard and One-Monitor..the Scroll Lock Button switches between the two machines..I usually only run one machine at a time..but have started and grabbed some file while on the internet w/the other..
Consider the KVM Switch.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.