Linux forum

General discussion

Can't make internet work

by seajayblue / November 16, 2006 5:00 AM PST

Just started installing PCLinuxOS. It seems to be installed but since my internet doesn't work, I need to get back the installation window for that and it won't come up any more. I guess it thought I was done. I also don't know how to run the autoinstall to put in firefox. Can anyone help me? The install manual can't.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't make internet work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't make internet work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions
by null. / November 16, 2006 7:09 AM PST

1. Are you running the livecd or have you gone past this and onto installing the OS on the HD.

2. How do you connect to the internet? a. modem or cable or dsl or ""

3. Use Synaptic Software Manager to install/remove software, but this is far down the road from where you seem to be. Please answer the first two questions in the order given.

don't give up on it, I installed it a few days ago and cannot find anything yet which didn't work out of the box.

BTW what are you installing it on
processor/speed
hd/size
dual boot?
how do you intend to use it?

these things may shed light onto your issues

Collapse -
questions
by seajayblue / November 17, 2006 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Questions

I just got a used laptop. Dell Latitude C600. I installed a 32 bit PC LinuxOS Full install. I installed it rather than live because there was nothing on it but a windows that didn't work. It comes up fine. But I don't know how to make it read a cd to finish install. It doesn't start by itself. I'm on bellsouth dsl with a WEP # that I inserted. It does not connect but it reads the wireless card and tries to connect. Is this enough?

Collapse -
Try the live install
by null. / November 17, 2006 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: questions

this is the way I've installed it on two machines including my Compaq armada m700 1ghz laptop
flawlessly BTW

pop the cd in the drive
install the live version
play around, see if stuff works (let the install scripts set it up for you)
if it works click the icon on the desktop named 'install pclinuxos'

Collapse -
Maybe another??
by seajayblue / November 18, 2006 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Try the live install

Do you think another version might hook up? This one recognizes everything and tries to connect but can't.

Collapse -
For example, Windows doesn't just "hook up."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2006 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe another??

I have to tell it things like WEP bit length and more. However your posts have been so thin on detail that I can't find a place to begin.

Bob

Collapse -
You see??
by seajayblue / November 18, 2006 3:11 AM PST

That's why my details are skimpy. I have no idea what a bit length is! I answered all the questions their wizard asked me, such as wep # but when I got on DSL I had a disk that did it. It has accepted my wireless card, because its' green lite stays lit. It also identifies my bellsouth identity, but obviously something is missing. Something I read suggested a driver?

Collapse -
I no longer do drivers on Linux.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2006 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: You see??

Most of the time it's far too much work. If you don't want to dive into networking about WEP bit lengths I strongly suggest you go back to Windows. Linux has numerous areas like this that require small packets of knowledge that you can find on the internet.

It's not a "click here" OS yet. I doubt it will ever be in the free versions.

Here's a link about PCLinuxOS and configuring WEP. Remember that it will do no good if the router decides to deny this machine.

The top link is http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/HomePage

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/QuickStartWireless

Bob

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.
by seajayblue / November 18, 2006 3:30 AM PST

I think I will go back. Too late for me to start programing. Thanks for your patients.

Collapse -
No programming involved
by 3rdalbum / November 23, 2006 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you.

(Mate, you're only setting up an internet connection. Nothing to do with programming.)

I would suggest that maybe you need to tell PCLinuxOS your ISP's DNS addresses.

Thing to try: Look through any documentation that you may have been given by your ISP, for DNS addresses, or look on your ISP's website. I don't use PCLOS so I don't know exactly where the addresses should be put, but it will surely be somewhere in the PCLinuxOS Control Center.

If the DNS addresses don't help, then try finding out your router's IP address - possibly 192.168.1.1. Go into a terminal and type "ping 192.168.1.1" (or whatever your router's IP address is) and tell us what message it spits out at you.

You could also phone your ISP and ask if they can help you. If they're anything like the ISPs I've dealt with over the years, they'll probably be useless (my current ISP gave me the wrong bl**dy connection settings), but at least give them a try.

If all else fails, try another distro. You can set up an internet connection from a Live CD - for instance, SimplyMEPIS, Ubuntu, or Knoppix, so you don't need to install each time just to find out if your connection will work out-of-the-box.

Collapse -
(NT) OT: Don, e-mail me, okay.
by EdH / November 29, 2006 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Try the live install

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!