HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't log into my user profile!

by OCSMail / July 22, 2005 12:56 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite A50-S535G notebook, with a Pentium M processor 1.6Ghz and I've been using it for about a year now.

I powered up the notebook but it couldn't load my user profile! A dialogue box appeared and said the file was missing or corrupt and loaded a temporary profile that I'm now using to access the internet.

ALL my personal documents have disappeared! Can anybody tell me how I can recover my profile? I tried rebooting and logging out a couple times but to no avail! I'm the only one using this notebook. Can anyone help??!

CLUELESS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't log into my user profile!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't log into my user profile!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe to see if it is there
by teespanthers16 / July 22, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

you can go to safe mode to see if your user profile is even there at all. Restart yor computer and as soon as it turns off start consistently tapping the F8 key listed in the very top row of special function keys. There is a specific place where you can just tap it once and get to the windows advanced startup menu. So tap it F8 consisttently until you see windows advanced startup menu with several options to toggle to. You cannot use your mouse in this area so use the arrow keys to toggle to SAFE MODE and press enter. Then you might get a choice of operating systems to choose from and just choose the windows xp and press enter. Then you actually see all the driver files and other files loaded one by one. After you see a bund of multidisk (0) raid (0) stuff filling the screen you should get an option to log in to the Adminstrator account and any other account that is currently on the system. If you do not see your user profile in this area than I would have to say Sorry your profile is no longer there.
Hope this helps and you can find your profile and docs that go with it.

Collapse -
I agree,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

the Administrator account that appears in the Safe Mode Welcome Screen is a hidden Administrator account. Select that, then when your desktop loads you can use the account to search for your documents.

In Safe Mode the desktop is black, and the screen resolution is lower, (the icons are larger). This will reverse itself when you reboot, (restart), back into normal mode.

In Safe Mode, right click the Start menu button and select ''Explore all users''. You will see a Windows Explorer window open with the Start menu highlighted under ''All users'' on the left. You should see on the left a folder icon with your user account name. Click the ''+'' sign next to that to display the folders inside that. From there you can find your ''My Documents'' folder, and so copy and paste them to a safe area, perhaps within the temporary account that has been created. Copy and paste anything else you want.

Then you can create another account if you wish, (Start > Control Panel > double click the User Accounts icon), and create a new account with full Admin privaleges.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks folks!
by OCSMail / July 22, 2005 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree,

All is back to normal! I got into the safe mode and found that my profile was still there (whew!) I then managed to do a system recovery which brought my settings back. Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated.... : )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.