Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't log in windows xp, tried logging in safe mode no good

by vyoma24 / July 27, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

hello,
i installed some silly thing from the internet, obviously it dint go well and mccafe on my system detected virus and asked me to restart and on restarting it asks for a log in password that I've never set.

Ive googled threads on similar problems and
1. tried starting in safe mode, but this still asks for password
2. tried admin it still asks for password
3. tried ctrl+alt+del...it dosent work
4. tried resetting password by hitting f9, it still dosent work.

please help!!! im totally strssed out!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't log in windows xp, tried logging in safe mode no good
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't log in windows xp, tried logging in safe mode no good
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check out how to change that password?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 4:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
did you check out how to change the password?
by vyoma24 / July 27, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

hi, thank you for replying.
I did try recovering my password, but its not working as i just cant gt past the log in...once i enter windows i can try changing the password, but i just cant get into windows. it wont even load in safe mode...am i screwed???!!!

Collapse -
Only if you don't try to change it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 4:51 AM PDT

In the linked discussion people gave many solutions. I'm sticking to what I use for this since it's free and easy.
Bob

Collapse -
Can't log in windows xp, tried logging in safe mode no good
by 247techie / July 24, 2012 3:43 PM PDT

I know this is an old post but I will be posting my answer for the people who is reading it now:
Have a look at this video it willl help to log into your windows account by using the NT Offline password & registry editor free tool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBA5RSxCG8I&feature=plcp

Collapse -
Juat a quick question?
by omnicrunk / July 26, 2012 1:19 PM PDT

I have a problem similar to this issue. I have also so searched goggle and have found no issue's. I to am unable to log into Windows XP SP.2 . I was in a class and needed to download Microsoft Security Essentials, but as i attempted to install i received an error message. Download the Filter Roll Up-Manager, i installed the package and everything went smoothly. I was requested to restart the computer and I did. The booting process ran smoothly. When the log in screen appeared I proceeded as normal, but I received and error message stating" The system cannot log on due to the following error; The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect. Please try again or consult your system admin," As stated above, i have searched the net extensively and the best answer was creating different Boot disc. I have tried two Hirens 15.1, which allowed me to access the computer using Mini-XP, but there are so many application included on the boot disc, that i do not know which one to use to fix my system. The second was Ubuntu, i had difficulty using Ubuntu, the boot disc seemed to run very slow on my system and the application took an excruciatingly long time to load. I deleted the up-date and still i receive this issue, Voyma, I do not know if any of these Boot disc would work for you, but it is worth a try. I am still trying to fix my system, but this may work for you. Also, did you receive and error message or notice any thing unusual while booting?

P.S, dose anyone have a solution to my issue or could point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance,

Collapse -
Juat a quick question?
by 247techie / July 26, 2012 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Juat a quick question?

Have you tried logging in to the safe mode as an administrator? if not try and do a system restore,If that fails re post here I'll guide you more in troubleshooting

Cheers,
247techie.

Collapse -
Ok
by omnicrunk / July 27, 2012 2:11 AM PDT

Hey, Techie i have tried to do all the above. i'm not able to log into the system. I have tried to manually do a restore using cmd in minixp and the parameter was not recognized. Yesterday, after i posted, i looked around on the internet for the package and found it. A note was present that said " if your are reveving this message because you are trying to download Microsoft Security Essentials, then you must install sp3." in my haste of downloading the MSE, i did not read the note. This i think is my issue. I think i have to order or make the sp3 disc but some how i need to make it run on computer start. Still, If you have any better ideas please inform me. I am open to all help and do not care about rank in the forum.

Thank You all in advance.

Collapse -
Juat a quick question?
by 247techie / July 28, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok
Collapse -
From bad to Worse
by omnicrunk / July 28, 2012 5:22 AM PDT

Techie thank you for the help; unfortunately, this did not work. it is kind of funny because i followed the steps closely. i paused the video to make sure i did exactly what need to be done. I exited and windows seemed to boot normally until the loading bar disappeared and now the log in screen is no longer there, the screen does not go to the log in screen, it just sits there blank nothing on the screen, the screen reminds me of the monitor being off. I tried to boot into safe mode and it gets hung up and i have waited awhile to see if the computer does anything; nothing happens. i think its really messed up now. But its cool. I do not know what to do to fix this new problem but i will keep working on it. Thank You again

Collapse -
Sad to read this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2012 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: From bad to Worse

Resetting those passwords is a 5 minute task using free software. It appears you have opted out of easy and want to bash up the installed OS further.

I understand folk have a hard time with this but at times you wonder.
Bob

Collapse -
i dont understand
by omnicrunk / July 30, 2012 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sad to read this.

Sad to read this.

by R. Proffitt Moderator - 7/28/12 12:30 PM

In Reply to: From bad to Worse by omnicrunk

Resetting those passwords is a 5 minute task using free software. It appears you have opted out of easy and want to bash up the installed OS further.

I understand folk have a hard time with this but at times you wonder.
Bob.....

Hey, Proffitt I do not understand you mean."Bash up the OS" you said. I followed the steps to a T. Furthermore, i like trying to troubleshoot computer problems. I am not easily discouraged, but i do know that my last resort is Geek Squad.

Moving on, after the failed restore attempt, i booted the computer using my hirens and ran the mini xp. The files and documents are still on the drive and are intact. Is there anyone on here with experience using Hirens boot disc. I bought a laptop and the desktop is the computer with the problem. As stated before, all help will be accepted.

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: i dont understand

What you do is YOUR CHOICE. Resetting the password is a trivial thing once you get the hang of making and booting the NTPASSWD CD.

I see advice above that will do a lot more than clear that password. This is all your choice. I've offered an easy way to reset the admin password but it looks like more is needed but I can't guess given the clues so far.

Maybe it is best to start over?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?