Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can't log in after reboot

WinXP with all the updates

I get a small window that says my account is restricted although I am the only one who uses my computer and I have never even set up any restrictions or passwords to log in

Then there is another box that has administrator and where the password goes is blank...like I said I never set up a password for anything to log in so there is no possible password it needs

I've tried booting to safe mode and most of the other options in that list but the password box comes up before it gets that far

can anyone give me an idea how to fix this?

I'm on a library's computer right now

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't log in after reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't log in after reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like some pest got in, fix for the password at...

In reply to: can't log in after reboot

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

XP Home for instance is proper to see that Administrator account. One of my recurring chats is about accounts in XP. Some would like to have all but one account but that is not the way of XP. If this is bothersome then you want to use some other Operating System but all I know of work best with more than one account.

Once you are in your admin account you can change the other account to not be restricted.

Bob
Collapse -
I never had ANY password needed to get into my computer

In reply to: Sounds like some pest got in, fix for the password at...

I am the only person who's ever used my computer and I've never set passwords for anything let alone an Administrator password

The person I took my computer to removed my hard drives and put them into another working computer but the new computer said the hard drives are now scrambled and unreadable...I really think this has to be some kind of virus

I've pretty much given up and have accepted the certainty all my data is gone...since I never received a Win XP disk when I originally bought the computer I'm having the guy reinstall Win XP for me

When I last wrote about my problem I was at the library researching ways to figure this out...since then I have contacted not only many other computer repair people but several computer science professors at the local college and no one had any workable ideas to fix my problem

I'm on my old computer now(sucks to go from 3.2ghz to 500mhz but it's better than nothing) and getting nagged wherever I go to update all of my drivers and programs

I just came back to say while I appreciate your answer...my problem wasn't that I was messing around and accidentally set some passwords I now have forgotten...I have never set any passwords(I have no reason to set any in the first place)...I still tried most of the ideas over there before I even wrote in to Cnet

That and the fact my problem must of seemed fairly interesting since once I explained what happened I had no trouble getting experts in my area to try and help...believe me I never would be reinstalling Win XP if I thought there was the slightest chance anything else might work

I'm here now mostly to spread the word since I had what seemed to be sufficient protection and I still got my computer ruined...if it's not a virus it's certainly some kind of serious malware and nothing I had(over 10 malware type programs updated weekly and AVG Pro) stopped what ever it was

Collapse -
If you lose data, you lost it.

In reply to: I never had ANY password needed to get into my computer

At this point it doesn't matter if you didn't have a password before or not. The article helps you change it to something known and get back into the system.

-> You can also perform a XP PARALLEL INSTALL and all the files remain intact.

I'm unsure why you think you'll lose files.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Bob

Collapse -
cannot even reinstall WinXP

In reply to: If you lose data, you lost it.

I just got a call from the computer repairer who tells me he can't even reinstall WinXP now

He has taken my hard drives out of my computer into a new computer that works and the new computer cannot read the hard drives(he gets a message something about "smart devices" or something like that) and if he instead adds a working hard drive to my computer it works just fine

I have three hard drives(two in a raid array that originally came with the computer and one extra I added myself a year ago for more space) and it seems all three drives are now not working

How can all three drives go out at the same time and how can a virus do this?

As it stands now I am looking at replacing at least the first two raid array drives and then reinstalling the OS again

I can't get over how all three drives gave out all at the same time...I'm worried if I do have some kind of virus(or other problem) then even if I do replace the hard drives then this will happen all over again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.