If USB problems are showing up, it's generally an issue with the motherboard/chipset drivers (probably accessible at the Intel site) or a BIOS update is necessary.. Start with the chipset drivers.
Hope this helps.
SYSTEM INFORMATION as follows:
Board is a PCCHIPS P21G socket 775 board with microATX, 6 channel hyperthreading technologies, built-in Parallel/serial/vga/8-USB ports/RJ-45/sound card built-in. VIA technology.
Modem Robotics V92.
Intel Celeron 355 3.3GHZ speed processor.
Ultra 1024MB RAM DDR (2048 capable).
AGP ATI Raedon 7500 w/ 64mb or can use the built in VGA (no memory).
VISTA load process renamed XP 'WINDOWS' folder to 'windows-old' to get it out of the way for the new load of VISTA.
Maxtor 40 GB Internal Drive (NTFS formatted), not FAT32.
Intent to replace XP system on computer with VISTA load.
1. Loaded VISTA
2. VISTA renames 'WINDOWS' folder, to 'WINDOWS-OLD' to get it out of the way.
3. Loaded sound card program from PCCHIPS Via disc. Did not load RAID or VGA drivers, on same disc.
4. Installed and loaded Robotics V92 modem and software.
5. Installed ATI Raedon 7500 card and software.
6. 1st problem occurred; need to replace Raedon 7500 with VISTA compatible VGA to run 'Windows DVD Maker'. All else seems to work fine on Windows Media Center, and Media Player.
7a. Plugged in USB HD, system identifies hardware installation necessary, begins hardware search, identifies need to have LACIE CD disc, inserted, but will not load drivers from disc when inserted.
7b. Instead, stopped process and opened files on LACIE CD and RUN the installer. Installed USB 2.0 drivers from LACIE CD. USB HD not recognized.
7c. Went to Drive Hardware in control panel, uninstalled drivers to USB HUB and Controllers, and tried various selections available on Internal Maxtor HD. Would not recognize the LACIE HD.
8. Same problem with Maxtor EXT HD, and EXT MAD DOG DVD Burner, and EXT SONY Floppy. Tries to find and load, does not work on any auto load setting, or manually selected updated HUB or CONTROLLER settings.
9. Note: VIA PCCHIPS txt file says to uninstall drivers and replace with standard windows drivers supplied with VISTA or XP. This does not work either.
QUESTION: Could there be a tweak that I need to make in the BIOS boot menu area? Cannot find drivers on driver sites or manufacture sites for any and all EXT hardware that will work.
Will an external USB or FIREWIRE card work? Or will the card try to draw on the same Controller and HUB drivers internally?