Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't instll windows xp

I have a ecs k7s5a motherboard. 392 meg of ram. Nvidia geforce 2 video card, sound blaster live value sound card. a 80 gig wd hard drive. dvd burner. I have had a dual boot 2000 and xp system for a long time. But a little while back my pc started freezing up on occasion. I finally had to format the hard drive and start over. But to my surprize after I got 2000 back and then tried to do the xp disk, I would boot off of the disk and windows would say that it was goind to start the installation. That is all it will do.It will not go any farther. I even tried to do the six floppy install. Same thing. I even tried both windows xp home and pro. Neither one will work. I have three pc's in my house. One for me and one for my wife and stepson. The windows xp disk will start the install on both of the other ones but not mine. I have tried differnet hard drives. I have removed one stick of memory out. I have tried the install without my sound card. Done a bios reset. Nothing works. I now have 2000 on my pc running fine, but xp simply will not install.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't instll windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't instll windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compatability test

In reply to: Can't instll windows xp

Boot up into 200 then put the XP disk in tyour CDROM - if you have auto insert a menu will appear - select "Check Systems Compatability" - this may shed some light on your problem.
Peter

Collapse -
Freezing?

Did the format solve the freezing problem? If not, XP may refuse to install on damaged or bad hardware.

Collapse -
can't install windows xp

I have tried everything i know and nothing works. I have just about given up. Changed everything out, nothing makes any difference.
n4ise

Collapse -
Have you tried

In reply to: can't install windows xp

1/ upgrading your bios
2/ using the fail safe settings in the bios during the installation
3 / Tried installing it using another CDROM - it maybe the CDROM that is causing the trouble
4/ remove all non essential hardware or trying other addon hardware such as keyboard, Monitor graphics card - even different memory sticks.
5/ It could even be the power supply so try putting another machines next to it and see if the power cables reach, or even swap power supplies.
6/ Get a bench marking program and run a "burn in" test.

Its more than likely a hardware problem - whether it is a compatablity problem with XP or faulty hardware.
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Can't install XP

In reply to: can't install windows xp

I ran into a similar problem 4 months ago. It turned out that at some point in time, the CPU fan had begun to fail causing the CPU to overheat. I had to replace the entire motherboard. You might try turning on the computer with the cover off and observe the CPU's cooling fan operational consistancy. If you notice any deviation after ~15 min., the indication may point to prior CPU thermal damage; in which case the CPU's present status is operationally defunct. You would need to replace it.

Collapse -
cpu

In reply to: Re: Can't install XP

the cpu fan is working great, and also now noticing another problem, a few times since i loaded 2000 back up it locks up, and when it does i get a wierd noise out of my speakers. Kinda a real loud hissing noise and then i have to hit the restart button, just another problem with my motherboard. i guess it is time for a new one.
n4ise

Collapse -
Actually that's a clue.

In reply to: cpu

I usually note this when people forget drivers. It's rare to find the BIOS current and the motherboard drivers installed.

Bob

Collapse -
cpu

In reply to: Actually that's a clue.

the locking up problem only started happened as of late this year, never had it before. motherboard drivers and bios, can that be an issue?
n4ise

Collapse -
In that case, look to aging parts.

Many fit a just big enough supply, the fans slow and clog. But I didn't read what you do for cleaning and the power supply size.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You obviously haven't read my suggestion?

Collapse -
reply to comments

In reply to: (NT) You obviously haven't read my suggestion?

I did a compatibility test, but not with the windows xp disk. It would not let me do it with the cd. So went on line and download one. It came out fine. And also all of my fans are in good shape running well and clean. I try to keep a check on my system, always have. I am not sure if I said anything about this in some of my relys, but I even tried another power supply. As of right now, nothing works. still the same old mess it has been. there might be a fix. If there is I would like to find it. Just to know what was really the problem all along. Could be age. who knows
n4ise

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!