Memory Size 512MB
System Rom Date 07/26/01
System Rom Fanily 786K1
Prinary Drive 0 28629 MB QUANTUM FIREBALLICT15 30
Secondary Drive 0 CD-ROM GCR-8521B
Secondary Drive 1 CD-ROM Hewlett- Packard CD-Writer Plus 8208

It crashed on me and wouldn't boot up again. I checked
the memory in my other computer it's good. Vido card
good, sound card good also. Checked all cards out in other computer they are good. Unhooked all drives in the Compaq and the mouse and keyboard too and the computer would bootup that way. Checked CD-Rom drives out in other computer no problems.

Clean Heatsink, remove and clean cpu, new paste reinstall the cpu. With nothing hooked up but the vido card it will bootup, reset the bios to defaults.

Replaced the drive cables with new ones. Install mouse it booted up, install keyboard it booted up. install floppy it boot up,install Frist CD-Rom it booted up installed second CD-Rom it booted up, installed Harddrive it booted up.

Tryed to restall XP Pro it will go as far as to format
the hard drive freezes up between 8 & 26% it is also
freezing up in the bios.

The only thing haven't replaced or checked out is the battery, could the battery cause the problems I
am having or is the motherboard going bad?

Would appreicate any and all help I've ran out of ideals. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can,t install Xp Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can,t install Xp Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannot hurt to replace the CMOS battery

In reply to: Can,t install Xp Pro

Any idea what the system TEMPS are ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Since it boots...

In reply to: Can,t install Xp Pro

you should make use of the Maxtor/Quantum hard drive diagnostics (PowerMax) to check the hard drive.

You mention resetting BIOS to defaults but I saw no mention of going in and having the hard drive detected--that alone could be a big part of your problem.

If the BIOS settings are being retained it would not appear to be any problem with your CMOS battery as that is what it is there for--power to retain the settings.

You can get Maxtor's PowerMax at this link which also explains how to use it.
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/View%20By%20Category/Desktop%20Storage/Quantum%20Family/Diagnostics&downloadID=22

You can get the CD ISO image file from this link if it would better serve your needs:
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/View%20By%20Category/Desktop%20Storage/Quantum%20Family

Collapse -
Compaq won't boot or freezs up .

In reply to: Since it boots...

The temp are ok, the Bios is retaining the setting and it reconize all of the drives. The dam thing is freezing up in the bios also.
The battery is good put a new one in.

I also put in another cpu that I know is good it is a AMD 950.
I am begining to thank that the motherboard is going bad. Right now I'm trying to get it to boot up again
also using another hard drive which I know is good.

If you have anymore ideals would appreicate hearing them.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.